Girl Rising at BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On April 30th, Her Campus BC partnered with Women in Business at Boston College for a wonderful little mid-finals study break full of insipiring stories.  We showed two films, Girl Rising and Half the Sky.

These two films featuring the importance of female empowerment.  As we look to empower ourselves in our future careers, we also need to consider how to help alleviate the plight of female inequality on a global scale. 

The first film, Half the Sky, based on the best-selling book by New York Times journalists, Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, chronicles the importance of turning oppression into opportunities for women around the world. 

Similarly, the second film, Girl Rising, spotlights the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change a girl – and the world, as it details the lives of nine different young women. 

People stopped in to watch, taking breaks from their studying, paper-writing, and final projects. However, they all left with more than just a study break. The films are both transformative, and all attendees agreed that they learned a lot about the isssues facing girls in other countries today and felt compelled to help however they could. We want to encourage everyone that might be thinking of seeing either film  to seek them out, because they will absolutely change the way you see the world!

Luckily, Girl Rising is currently in theaters! Click here to find a screening near you. 

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.