The Best Advice We’ve Ever Recieved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Every day, people say different things to us; sometimes we forget them immediately, but there are rare instances when they make profound impressions on us, and they stick.  Cheesy quotations, clichéd expressions, and feel-good thoughts: what’s not to love?

I am a total sucker for this kind of thing, so I asked several people for the best piece of advice they have received or heard.  Here are some of the most memorable words of wisdom.

From friends, family, and mentors:

“There’s good in sadness and misery.  It shows that we have room to grow and that things actually matter to us.  The one thing we all have coming is an end; you might as well pick your punctuation.  Nothing would be worth anything if there wasn’t a limit to it.” – Anonymous Friend

“People who gripe and complain about everything annoy me.  In the end, we’ll all fall back to entropy.  Let things go and enjoy life while you are still alive.” — Anonymous Friend

“Get busy living or get busy dying.” — Jamie Morse (Teacher at Hathaway Brown School)

“Worry about your character, not your reputation, because your character is who you are, and your reputation is what people think you are.” — Brendan Berry

“Character is who you are when no one is watching.” — P.J. Concannon

“Don’t let the bastards get you down.” — A BC Faculty Member

“People are never as bad, or as good, as they seem.” — Mike Wham

“The best relationships are when each person thinks the other is out of his/her league.” — Julianne Wojno’s brother

“If you find a job you love, you’ll never work another day in your life.” — Lauren Ruvo’s dad

“Keep your nose clean- stay out of trouble, don’t get in other people’s drama.” — Katie Moran’s mom

From songs and proverbs:

“Everything happens for a reason.  Just let the chips fall where they may.  You can never be wise and old if you were never young and wild.  Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.  It’s all about the climb.” – Miley Cyrus

“The earth is a beehive; we all enter by the same door but live in different cells.” — African Proverb

“Consider the past and you will know the present.” — Chinese Proverb

“Perseverance is the hard work you do when you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” — Anonymous

Just for fun:

“You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose!” — Tom Culkeen

“Life’s a sh*t sandwich, and every day you take a bigger bite!” — Brendan Berry

“If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again… and if you still do not succeed, get rid of all the evidence that you ever tried!” — P.J. Concannon

Take these with you wherever you go, and spread the wisdom!  Have some of your own favorite quotes? Comment below, tweet at us, or post them on our Facebook page!

Wish you could’ve seen YOUR name in this article?  Join our listserv so our writers can occassionally contact you for quotes or interviews on upcoming articles! 

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.