The Apple Really Doesn’t Fall Far From the Tree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Have you ever had that déjà vous moment when you find yourself doing something very familiar, but can’t quite place where you first experienced it?  It may take a while to realize this, if you discover it at all, but you probably (at least subconsciously) remember someone else doing the exact same thing sometime in the past.

What about that little irksome habit your mom or dad has that you swore you would never pick up?  You have probably found yourself doing it at some point or another, no matter how hard you try to deny it.

The truth is, we learn more from our parents than we think we do.  Of course, we learn right from wrong, how to treat people with kindness, the importance of sharing, hard work, and especially love, but we also subconsciously pick up how to act.  We look to our parents as our guides in all matters, so we necessarily pick up some of their habits along the way.

Think about it.  How much of what you know and how you act is something you learned from your parents?  How many of your own little habits did you get from them?

Here are some of the more endearing things we have picked up from our parents, as well as a few that are those annoying things we swore we would never do.

• I put bars of sweet soap into all of my drawers so that my clothes always smell fresh and clean.
  • I can’t stand the smell of cooking after the cooking is over (open a window, please).
  • I have become an impulsive clean freak, and I get grossed out when things are dusty or haven’t been vacuumed.
  • I am obsessed with the way clean clothes smell right out of the washer.  Somehow, I still can’t get them to be as fresh as my mom can, but I’m working on it!
  • I prefer reading a good book to watching TV or a movie.
  • I carry a lint brush everywhere I go, just in case.
  • I love (and I mean love) my hot water bottle.  It’s much more sensible than cranking the heat all the way up, right?
  • I have developed a love of baking (and eating) delicious, beautiful desserts. 
  • My room may be messy and disorganized, but it is the cleanest, freshest mess you will ever find.
  • While I’m hesitant to purchase some things, I have absolutely no problem investing in the things I know will last. 

Sure, we may not look much like them or always get along with them, but we’re not so different from our parents, are we?

Photo Sources:
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/apple-tree-.jpg
http://www.visualphotos.com/image/2×5178041/woman_smelling_clean_clothes

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.