The Must Haves for a Fresh Fall Semester

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

With college in full swing and very few recommended hours of self-care and free time (thanks Columbia!) you need the best products and you need them now. We’ve tried them all and selected the best of the best from our fall survival kit. Be sure to enter our giveaway to win these must haves for yourself! Here is what you need to keep your fall semester fresh and fabulous!

1- Freeman Feeling Beautiful:

• Rejuvenating Cucumber + Pink Salt Clay Mask

• Have been using this for the past two weeks and it is fantastic! The coverage is nice and it is great for exfoliation. My only qualm is that it is a little harsh – I left it on a little too long once and my face began to sting, but after gently scrubbing it off my skin felt so smooth and refreshed. This was a lifesaver after piling my face with make-up during Halloweekend! -Julia

• Manuka Honey + Tea Tree Oil Clay Mask + Cleanser

• I have horribly oily skin and I used this one night and it felt fantastic. It goes on smoothly, but feels a little dry – really, you shouldn’t leave it on for longer than the recommended 5-7 minutes. My skin felt so clean and smooth, and the next day, my acne was significantly better. Highly recommend! -Allie

• Detoxifying Charcoal + Black Sugar Mud Mask

• I used this the night after I tried the honey mask to similarly great effect! My skin felt so soft afterwards, and just as clean and refreshed. I noticed an even greater effect with my breakouts – some of my larger breakouts were practically gone the next day! 5/5 I love this brand. -Allie

2- Bed Head by TIGI

• Masterpiece Shine Hairspray

• I love love this hairspray! A little goes a long way with masterpiece shine. I always coat my wavy hair and my usual half up half down style in it before I head to class and the frizz stays away all day! Even on my 4 class back to back whirlwind. -Sydney

• Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo

• The best dry shampoo I have tried so far. It smells nice, does not leave white streaks, and does a great job at absorbing grease. I like to put it on at night so my hair has time to absorb all of it, and by morning even my second-day hair looks shiny and healthy enough to wear down. -Julia

• I definitely felt a lot better afterwards, but maybe the effect would be more noticeable on someone with thinner hair. -Allie

• I tried this out during Homecoming Weekend and didn’t see an obvious visible difference. I do agree that it felt good, and gave me a clean feeling! -Erica

• Hard Head Hairspray

• Really amazing and long-lasting hold – I used this for a performance and my hair stayed in place the entire time, even after 50 chaines turns. Use a lot for maximum hold! -Julia  

• Oh Bee Hive! Matte Dry Shampoo

• A great product when you’re in a pinch! A definite difference in my hair; I applied a lot of the product to make my hair look soft and natural. It did look shinier than normal, but overall helped out my thick, wavy hair, which is something that most products have trouble with! -Ambria

3- Spindrift Sparkling Water

• Raspberry Lime

• Move over, La Croix: Really delicious and refreshing, and just sweet enough to satisfy. Unlike typical flavored seltzer, this actually tastes the fruits that are in it. This would make a great summer drink alone or mixed. -Julia

• I’m not really much of a sparkling water person, but I really liked this drink. It was subtle enough to still be a sparkling water, but flavored enough to be really tasty. Really refreshing, and I can definitely see this being a staple for the summer months. -Allie

• Lemon

• I’m not a fan of sparkling water, but I did like the zesty flavor of this drink. It was definitely refreshing and something I might be willing to drink at a summer BBQ or at the beach. An invigorating drink! -Ambria

4- Erin Condren Hardbound LifePlanner

• Like all planners, the aesthetic quality is one of the most important factors. Condren’s LifePlanner checks all the boxes! The colorful, stylized cover and the silver-lined pages are things you’ll want to look at all year long. The two pages meant for dreams and plans are a great way to keep track of long-term goals, and the full two-page calendar at the beginning of each month provides a great way to keep track of all those events at a glance! All in all, a great planner for the busy student that wants to keep track of work and life at the same time. -Ambria

5- Hi-CHEW Candy

• I love these candies because they’re so chewy that a small piece lasts you a long time! Like Laffy Taffy, but even better and with cooler flavors. My favorites are mango, peach, and melon. They’re perfect as a Halloween snack! -Julia

6- L’Oreal Paris

• Hydra Genius
    • With all the long nights in Butler studying for midterms, I’ve definitely neglected my skin’s hydration! In a snap, Hydra Genius fixes that and makes your skin shiny and bouncy,a s if you got the 8 hours of sleep Columbia recommends. -Sydney
  • Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes & Sublime Bronze ProPerfect Salon Airbrush Mist
    • Sublime is the name of the game here. While you’ll definitely notice a golden hue that invigorates your look, it’s a subtle change that looks uber natural. Perfect for outfits in the winter when you want to show some skin, but don’t want to show the uneven leftovers of your summer tan. You’ll feel confident and sexy with this tan! -Ambria

7- Steripod

• A must-have for college students or anyone who travels a lot. It’s a step-above a typical toothbrush saver because it has Thymol, found in mouthwash, which keeps your brush fresh. -Julia 
  •  I seriously love these. I’ve been a fan for a while now, and I can’t recommend them enough. I use them on both my Sonicare and my travel toothbrush, and I love how clean and minty fresh it keeps the bristles. -Allie

8- Aeropostale

• From sheek wallets to velvet scrunchies in the seasons best navy, emerald, and black colors, Aeropostale has everything you need to accessorize your Fall fashion and wear your Aero jeans and denim in style. My favorite are the metallic chokers, a must have look for the season! -Sydney
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.
Julia Tache

Columbia Barnard '19

Surviving the big city through caffeine.
Allie Humphrey is a first-year student at Barnard College majoring in history. She's fond of red lipstick, Byronic heroes, and period drama soundtracks. Find her on Instagram at @alisbeths