Meet the Team: Writer & Chapter Advisor Julia Tache!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & Class: Barnard College, 2019

Major: Sociology, Minor in Economics and English

Hometown: Dumont, NJ                                       

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

I am a junior who absolutely loves writing! On campus, I am the Associate Editor for the Arts & Science section of the Barnard Bulletin, have performed in Rocky Horror Picture Show, am a tutor for the Science and Technology Entry Program for high school students, and am also a member of the Columbia Democrats and the Athena Pre-Law Society. I am a frequent writer for Barnard’s Her Campus chapter as well as a Chapter Advisor. Off campus, I interned for Phil Murphy’s Campaign for Governor of New Jersey.    

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stands for?

Her Campus has always been a safe space where everyone’s opinions can be voiced and respected. I really appreciate its commitment to college women and its encouragement towards colleges and writers across the country to shine. It provides an amazing outlet for anyone interested in journalism, social media, and editing in a supporting environment. The content and conversation are always lively, and it is a place for everything: current events, fashion, feminism, and the issues that matter most to college women.

3. What’s your patronus?

A golden lion tamarin, my favorite animal!

4. Why did you choose Barnard/Columbia?

I chose Barnard because Absolute Bagels is the best bagel shop in the city. Just kidding (sort of) — I knew I wanted to attend a liberal arts college and to have the chance to take a variety of classes to explore all of my interests. I also loved that it was the best of both worlds: a tight-knit, women’s college with the vast resources of an Ivy League institution. Also, the location speaks for itself, and I hope to keep learning and living in New York City after graduation.

5. What inspires you to write?

What first made me interested in Her Campus were the articles on advice from college women geared towards high school students. I realized that there were plenty of others who were entering college with a sense of apprehension, and I felt a sense of community. I really believe that writing is a powerful tool that can bring people together, and a way for people to relate to each other. I am inspired to write about things I feel passionately about issues I feel strongly about, whether they make me angry, excited, or provide me with something to think about. If I am able to provide support, advice, and even a little humor to those reading, then I feel like I have done something right.

6. What are you passionate about?

As a passionate person, I find myself diving into things quite often and whole-heartedly! Right now, I am immensely passionate about learning about and taking part in social movements (inspired by my social movements class and by attending various protests this past year). It was huge that women of the #MeToo movement were honored as People of the Year by Time, and a sign that there is a significant change in the weather. I also love cooking, testing out recipes, and wish that I got to do it more often!

7. As a junior what positive changes do you want to see in the college/university?

I would like to see our university work towards being more inclusive and providing the resources needed for everyone here. We are a campus that celebrates diversity, and that means acknowledging criticisms from people of color, disabled students, first generation, and LGBTQA+ students and making concerted efforts to change for the better. I also would like to see both Barnard and Columbia actively address mental health and stress culture on campus and to provide ample resources for students on both campuses.

8. Who is your role model?

Leslie Knope has always been my inspiration, from her ability to juggle and succeed (and sometimes fail, albeit gracefully!) a million things to her caring personality to her passion for waffles.

9. If you could make one change in the world, what would it be and why?

I would like people to take time to walk a mile in other peoples’ shoes, as cliché as that may be, and to empathize with one another. When it seems like those in positions of power do not care about us, we need to make sure that we will care for and be there for each other, starting at a micro level and working our way up. I would also like to see those who are in positions of power use their platforms for greater good, rather than for protecting those at the top.

10. What are you most looking forward to during winter break? As nerdy as this sounds, my SO and I are both planning on learning programming languages from each other. I also cannot wait to make a dent in my reading and movie list, to jam on guitar, and to spend time with my family — especially taking long, late night drives with my younger sister featuring a great playlist.

Julia Tache

Columbia Barnard '19

Surviving the big city through caffeine.
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.