Meet the Team: Editor Rachel Beinus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & class: Barnard College Class of 2021

Major: Undeclared/History

Hometown: Los Angeles, California                          

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

I came into college really confused about what I wanted to get involved with, so I decided to be an editor for Her Campus and not overwhelm myself with too many clubs and organizations. However, next semester, I plan to rush and become a member of a sorority. I also now want to get involved in pre-law societies since I’m pretty certain that I want to go to law school.

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stands for?

Her Campus provides a platform for students in college to write about topics they deem important. This site supports such a wide array of articles that anything peaking your interest can be found. I especially love how this site is made for college women and mostly written by college women.

3. What’s your patronus?

My patronus is a hawk. According to the descriptions I’ve read, I relate to my patronus all too well. Someone with a hawk patronus is known to be a great observer, planner, and a perfectionist about executing ideas. In case you were wondering, I’m also a ravenclaw.  

4. Why did you choose Barnard?

Two years ago, I was taking the SAT and planning to stay in my home state of California for college. However, external changes within my life prompted me to consider schools on the East Coast. I visited New York City and Barnard all for the first time in February 2016 on an extremely cold day. Everyone around me told me that I embodied a Barnard woman, but I did not really see such women within myself when I applied early decision. I wanted to go to Barnard for its liberal arts core and location in New York City. I think I only started to understand that I belong at Barnard when I started my first semester here. I love being surrounded by intelligent, powerful women, and this environment really brings out my strengths. I definitely identify as a Barnard woman, now.

5. What inspires you to write?

Whenever I’m happy, I journal why my life puts a smile on my face. Whenever I’m sad, I journal what causes me pain. Whenever I want to make an impact, I write an article. I write because I want to leave a trail of words whether that’s just to be read by myself or by others. Every story, every thought, every feeling is given power when written down.

6. What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about journalism, history, female empowerment, and Myers-Briggs personality types.

7. As a first-year, what positive changes do you want to see in the college/university? 

Barnard needs to work on its dining halls. First off, I refuse to go to Hewitt because the food doesn’t even taste good; I leave on an empty stomach. Second of all, finding healthy options is very challenging, and students’ health should be a priority. What we put in our bodies affects our energy levels and our performance in school. I always find myself eating at Columbia because I find the selection of food options to be a bit more expansive. Columbia dining also lacks healthy options, but at least there, I can find something filling. My friends and I have recently started a healthier lifestyle, and we always feel frustrated with the food options in front of us. I hope Barnard can make their dining halls much more appealing by providing healthier food options.

8. Who is your role model?

I cannot pick a specific individual, but being around amazing, strong Barnard women is an unique experience. I feel so empowered at this school, and I have to give credit to the people I’m around in college.

9. If you could make one change in the world, what would it be and why?

I wish we lived in a world of truth. I know it’s a strange desire, but I feel that in most complex issues the world faces or in the small problems I encounter in my day to day life, there are so many lies that pollute these dilemmas. Even if the truth can hurt, a lie does more damage ultimately.

10. What are you most looking forward to during winter break?

I’m excited to spend time with friends and family in a warmer climate. I’m also looking forward to not having reading assignments, essays, and tests constantly.

Rachel Beinus

Columbia Barnard '21

Rachel is a current junior at Barnard College studying history, as well as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia Barnard. Not only does she enjoy writing, but she also loves Myers-Briggs personality types, fashion, and chocolate.