courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Friends in Different Dorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

By: Ambria Benesch

It’ll probably happen after freshman year; maybe, if you’re lucky, even after sophomore year. Someday, though, you’ll be faced with the inevitable: the friends you’ve come to know and love over a year or two are no longer going to be right across the hall. In fact, they might not even be in the same building, or near campus at all (Plimpton, I’m looking at you).

When your friendship has been built on study nights, eating ice cream together, and running into each other’s rooms and suites screaming about that one TV show, how can you keep a tight relationship while living so far away? It seems hard, but here are four tips you can start with.

Eating at Dining Halls Together

Okay, this one seems like a no-brainer. But, especially as you become upperclassmen and those swipes become increasingly more valuable, this can be forgotten or overlooked quite easily. Meeting up at Hewitt or John Jay twice a week can keep a friendship tight, and can give you something to look forward to during the week. Plus, you can complain about the food choices- or lack thereof- together.

Join a Club Together

Maybe you’ve already involved yourself in so many clubs that you have literally no free time left. If that’s the case, take some time to relax and join your friends for low-key clubs like the Barnard Clay Collective, or Columbia’s Philolexian Society. Or, if you’re a gal that has a lot of free time, drag your friends out of their comfort zones and try out for a dance team or a theatre society/a play! It’s built in time to see your friends, have fun, and even meet new people.

Go to Special Events Together

If you’re like me, you click ‘Interested’ on every single Facebook event thrown your way. There are a ton of crazy campus events, from Greek Games to Silent Disco to Stressbusters. Next time you’re looking through events, message someone you haven’t seen in a while (or want to see more). It’s a great way to reconnect in a fun atmosphere, and to make new memories and inside jokes that can strengthen your relationship.

Celebrate Holidays Together

This one works especially well for a larger group of friends that are scattered across campus. A great way to get together is to celebrate together! There are so many holidays during the school year. One great example is Thanksgiving! Make it a potluck, and you can all have great food and better memories. You can even introduce your friends to certain days or events that only you observe and vice versa.

These are just a couple ways to stay connected to friends in different dorm buildings. It might seem like a silly concern, but sometimes we simply forget to talk to people when we don’t see them every day. Stay in touch and keep building friendships that will last a lifetime!

Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.