Why It's REALLY Bad to Pop That Pimple

It might be tempting to pop that annoying little pimple, but did you know it can do more harm than good?

Before you try to tackle another little "face demon," you might want to make sure you know what risks you're actually taking.

That being said, take a second before running to the mirror to read and understand these quick tips and facts about pimple popping:

1. You can make the inflammation worse.

When you're tying to pop a pimple, it's usually because of how it looks, right? But unfortunately, picking and poking just make its appearance worse. You put yourself at risk for more inflammation, and pressing and pulling on your pimple just damages the skin around it, causing more redness and swelling in the long run.

2. It can lead to scabs.

When you pop a pimple, you're releasing puss. When it scabs over, you might be tempted to pick at it. But be cautious! This can lead to scarring. Because scabs are almost impossible to cover with concealer, treat your pimple with acne medication, and use a little makeup to cover it up correctly beforehand.

3. You might leave behind scars.

It's not that pimples can never be popped; it's that you shouldn't be the one who's popping them. Without sterile equpiment found in a doctor's office, scarring can occur. If you have a really bad spot on your face or body, go to your doctor first so you don't risk scarring or infection.

4. Picking can cause discoloration. In addition to scarring, your skin can actually change colors around your acne, a symptom of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (PIH). PIH is not a scar, but instead, it's a flat, darker area around the skin. The more inflamed the pimple, the more likely you are to develop PIH. Luckily, the discoloration does go back to normal over time, but it can take up to two years.

5. Picking can lead to infection. Dirty hands, dirty tools, and even just a non-sterile space like your bathroom at home can lead to an infection. When you pop a pimple, you're actually tearing at the skin, leaving it open to bacteria.