Meet Ball State: Kim Henderson

Editor's note: Meet Ball State is a weekly series that features Ball State students, faculty and alumni. A picture of Kim was not available at the time of publish.

Kim Henderson, a 1992 graduate from Ball State University, stopped to chat with HC Ball State this week. The cardinal turned speech therapist is currently a stay-at-home mom, but that doesn't mean she isn't busy.

Check out what Kim has to say about college memories, job advice and life planning during our Q&A with the BSU alumna:

What is your favorite Ball State memory?

I got very involved with the local Muncie Mission at the time, and I met a lot of very memorable and wonderful people while there. I think that was my favorite part because it also got me doing something in the community and it helped me feel like I was part of an even bigger community, helping people who truly needed it.

What is your life like now?

Right now, I'm currently taking time off of work so I can be at home with my two kids. They’re three and almost two, so I have a lot of work on my hands. So it made the most sense for me to stay home for a little bit while we transition into their school years.

How hard was it to find a job after graduating?

It wasn’t very hard for me because I also had people I knew that could help me get my foot in the door. I started as an assistant in a therapists office and was able to continue my education and work my way up that way. It made the most sense, and it was the easiest way to go about getting a job and moving up.

What do you wish you could go back and do if you were still in college?

I can’t think of anything I would really want to do at the moment. Maybe just being around friends. I still keep in touch with some of my friends from college, but a lot of us are busy now and we kind of have our own lives.

What advice do you have for undergraduates at Ball State now?

Don’t let anyone hold you back, I would say. I’ve encountered a lot of obstacles in my life, but I’ve been able to find ways to overcome them by staying positive and having faith.