Meet Ball State: Geoffrey S. Mearns

Ball State named Geoffrey S. Mearns as its 17th president Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s truly an honor to my family and me to be selected as the 17th president of Ball State University,” Mearns, the sitting president at Northern Kentucky University, said during his first public speech to the university on Jan. 24.

In addition to spending more than four years as president at Northern Kentucky, Mearns served as Provost at Cleveland State University and spent 17 years as an attorney. He served as a special attorney to the U.S. Attorney General in the prosecution of the Oklahoma City Bombing.

The university introduced Mearns during a special session of the Ball State Board of Trustees in Sursa Hall, where the board unanimously approved his hiring. Trustee Matt Momper introduced Mearns to a packed Sursa.

“Geoff’s focus on student-first is essential to our success and is a shared value with all at Ball State,” Momper, chair of Ball State’s presidential search committee, said. “For us, Geoff Mearns is the full package.”

The search process to replace former President Paul W. Ferguson began last year on March 14.

Mearns’ contract with Northern Kentucky ends July 31 and his employment with Ball State begins around Aug. 1.