Meet Ball State: Dan Briar

Editor's note: Meet Ball State is a weekly series that features Ball State students, faculty and alumni.

Dan Briar, a 1969 graduate from Ball State University, stopped to chat with HC Ball State this week. The cardinal and "major" soccer fan took some time out of his retirement to chat with HC Ball State about what his life has been like since leaving BSU.

Check out what Dan has to say about college memories, job advice and life planning during our Q&A with the BSU alum:

What is your favorite Ball State memory?

I had a lot of great friends while I was there. We used to do some crazy stuff, but friendship is everything in college. The brotherhood I shared with some of those people – I couldn't just share one thing. My four years were my favorite memories.

What is your life like now?

I used to work in marketing for an athletic company and I came to love sports, especially soccer. I wasn't exposed to the game a lot growing up, but I love the athletes and the ambiance at the games – it's really something. But now that I'm retired, I can spend time doing what I want, when I want. Not always relaxing – but it's great.

How hard was it to find a job after graduating?

I worked a few odd and end jobs for my first year out, but my brother had a friend at a business start-up in Chicago, and I went on from there.

What do you wish you could go back and do if you were still in college?

Things are so different – I don't know where to start. Maybe go back and see some more football games or basketball games.

What advice do you have for undergraduates at Ball State now?

Have fun, but have a plan. There's nothing wrong with a little uncertainty here or there, but it's always wise to have a few ideas and backup plans for when things don't go exactly the way you expect them to – which is all the time.