pumpkins on blankets
pumpkins on blankets
Original photo by Sunnie Berning
Style > Decor

How To Decorate Your Dorm Room For Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Dorm space may be limited but it can still feel like home. As temperatures drop, it’s time to make your space cozier! One of the best ways to bring your room to life is with fall decorations. Below are some inexpensive (and aesthetic) ways to make any dorm or small space feel like fall!

Autumn Leaves Garland

This simple DIY looks great around your room with fairy lights or even draped between wall decor! It will make your room feel like you stepped out under a colorful tree!

How to make: You will need twine (or some kind of string), a hot glue gun, and individual loose artificial fall leaves. To assemble, simply hot glue the leaves to the twine about 1-2 inches apart and let dry. Then hang on your wall with adhesive strips or drape on a bed frame

Mini Pumpkins

The classic fall decor staple is the pumpkin, but the possibilities of decorating them are endless.

How to make: You can have real or artificial ones of any size and customize them if you would like. More than just paint can be used to customize the pumpkin, you can use glitter, patterns, and stickers. Any type of design or added decoration will make the pumpkin so cute and totally unique to you.

Fall Diffuser Blends

The perfect way to create a comfy fall vibe is to light a candle, right?! Unfortunately, most universities don’t allow candles or candle warmers in dorm rooms. Don’t fret, diffusers are a great alternative to candles!

How to make: A quick search on Pinterest will show so many blends you can create with essential oils. Find that perfect fall scent: Pumpkin Spice Latte, Mulled Cider, Autumn Afternoon; the possibilities are endless! 

Door Decor

Having an eye-catching dorm door that everyone in your hall will remember is a must. Fall colors and door decorations can be so easy and make any space more appealing. 

How to make: Hanging simple fall signs can be inexpensively crafted by yourself or even find one at a local dollar store. Almost every dorm door has a dry-erase board on it and nothing shows your love for the seasonal quite like a cheesy fall quote. Some examples are, “Fall in love with fall”, “Happy fall ya’ll”, “Stay cozy”, or “Fall is in the air”. Don’t be afraid to throw anything on to your door, make it what you want and be proud! 

These fun additions will have your room ready for fall. The garland, mini pumpkins, fun scents, and door decor will transform a plain dorm room into a cozy fall oasis. So grab a PSL, put on a comfy lounge set, and get to decorating! 

Sunnie Berning

Ball State '23

Hey Hey! My name is Sunnie Berning! I am a Sophomore at Ball State University majoring in Visual Communications. I am a member of Alpha Omicron Pi and their Creative Director, Campus Tour Guides, and Philanthropy Education Council. I love all things artsy and creative as well of anything having to do with the enneagrams.
Clare Sexton

Ball State '23

Clare is a sophomore at Ball State studying Fashion Merchandising and Marketing. In addition to being a member of the Ball State HerCampus team, Clare is the Fundraising Chair for the Fashion Merchandising Association and a member of the Fashion Design Society. She is also the Director of Merchandise for Alpha Gamma Delta, Beta Tau.