Career

How to Respond When People Question Your Liberal Arts Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Recently, I had an experience while talking to an acquaintance. Scratch that, not an acquaintance, but a complete stranger.

Our conversation went a bit like this:

“So, you’re a college student? What’s your major?”

“I’m majoring in philosophy and hoping to become a-”

“Oh philosophy? Great, we have another waitress on our hands!”

“Yes. Wait . . . no.”

First of all, this is rude because he didn’t let me explain why I chose philosophy. Second of all, why does he think it is his job to criticize what my major will be? Unfortunately, this was not an isolated experience and my friends as well as myself have had similar exchanges many, many times.

Fortunately, I have developed a few ways of dealing with them depending on the level and type of the passive aggressiveness. I can explain to them how I will apply my job to the work force (technical writing, non-profit work, grant writing, etc.) or I can explain the value that philosophy has brought to my life. The first one is explaining how I will find a job and that I am pursuing a career in technical writing. I have no problem explaining to people the value that philosophy has brought to my life. Yet, sometimes there are situations where the best way to respond is with more passive aggression.

Option one, misinterpret their intention:

“Oh, philosophy? What are you gonna do? Work at a philosophy factory?”

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

Option two, confuse them:

“Good luck opening a philosophy store.”

“Thanks, I’ve heard the business is booming!”

Option three, turn the question on them:

“Sounds like another barista.”

“Do you think I should become a barista?”

When I respond like this, people generally don’t know how to respond. Then, I can usually explain why I chose my degree, which I have no problem doing.  Of course, this strategy works for a philosophy major, but it also works for English, history, environmental studies, or any sort of degree that people go out of their way to question.

Augustana Contributor