11 Types Of People You See At The Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

If you spend quite a bit of time at the working out at the rec, you’re bound to encounter one of these types of people while working out. Since I personally spend a decent amount of time at the rec—given the fact I work there—I happen to encounter these types of people everyday:

1. The Meat Heads: These are the extremely muscular men who spend all day, everyday, lifting heavy weights, as if there is nothing more important to do in the world. If you have a conversation with them, it most likely includes the topic of weight lifting or protein shakes. When working out next to them, you feel slightly intimidated…but only slightly.   
  2. The Wanna-be Meat Heads: These are the boys who are slightly more scrawny than the legitimate “meat heads” which results in them lifting significantly lighter weights. Although they aren’t as buff and may not have hit the PR they’ve been wanting to, here they are, present everyday in the weight room working out. They’re highly dedicated.    
  3. Mr. Know It All: He most likely is a “meat head” and he will give you advice when it comes to your form when squatting weights, even if you didn’t ask for his advice in the first place. He also tends to walk around as if he owns the place.    
  4. The Newbies: These people tend to just look around at first, as the weight room is clearly a new environment for them. You can tell they don’t come here often as they had issues swiping their student ID to enter the rec. They tend to scope out the scene and after watching long and hard, they begin to learn how to properly use certain pieces of equipment and may even steal your little workout routine.     
  5. The Selfie-King/Queen: This is the type of person who stands in front of the mirror, contiguously snapping pre-workout and post-workout selfies, only to document to the world that they went to the gym and hope to see some sorts of results.  
  6. The Grunter: This is the guy who grunts extremely loud every time he bench presses or squats any sort of weight, as well as makes other uncomfortable noises for us all to hear which leads to us feeling somewhat uncomfortable. Maybe take a few pounds off of the bar if it’s too heavy and that will result in less grunting and other odd sounds? Thanks!    
  7. The Super-Fit Couple: “Couples who workout together, last forever” right? Is that how it goes? Eh, who knows. Those who are considered the super fit, in-shape, workout couple are each others biggest supporters. They spot each others weights, and constantly motivate one another which is cute. However, the lovey-dovey PDA and sweaty kisses in the weight room can be a bit much. ​​
  8. The Chit-Chatters: These are the groups of people—primarily clusters of girls—who go to workout for about 30 minutes max, and their time spent at the rec consists of more gossiping and socializing than it does workout. You can find most likely find them sitting in a circle, on yoga mats, stretching and socializing. 
  9. The Athletes: They’re already in the best shape they could physically be in, yet here they are perfecting their perfect, athletic build that we all hope to obtain, one day.
  10. The Grannys: These are the elderly people you see taking leisurely strolls around the track, who are trying to maintain both their health and figure, and still find recreation fun.
  11. Puddles: Otherwise known as the men who profusely sweat when using a machine of some sort, leaving behind a rather large puddle. So the next time you head to the rec in hopes to workout, be on the lookout for these types of people. 
Demetra Zuras is a Public Relations major at Auburn University with an interest in Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. Her future goals consist of moving to the big apple and working for Cosmopolitan. She's a chocoholic, shopping addict and football fanatic. WAR EAGLE!