This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Althea Gibson’s accomplishments are usually disregarded when we reflect on Black women who have made a difference in society and challenged racial discrimination. Born in South Carolina in 1927 and the oldest of five children, her parents worked as sharecroppers on a cotton farm until moving her family to New York. At the age of twelve, she won the New York City, New York women’s paddle tennis championship.

In 1941, she entered and won the title at her first tournament at the American Tennis Association (ATA) New York State Championship, and went on to win again in 1944 and 1945. In 1949, she became the first Black woman to compete in the United States Lawn Tennis Association (USLTA). She won the American Tennis Association (ATA) New York State Championship in 1941, 1944, and 1945.  Her dedication and perseverance led to a full athletic scholarship to Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU). But she was barred from competing in the United States National Championships, regardless of her prestigious reputation as an athlete.

Despite setbacks, Gibson proceeded to challenge racial barriers in sports and became the first Black tennis player to compete at the United States National Championships in 1950. In 1951, she became the first Black player to compete in Wimbledon. She proceeded to win the French Open in 1956 and the Wimbledon and U.S. Open in 1957 and 1958.

The Associated Press named her “Female Athlete of the Year” in 1957 and 1958. She retired from tennis in 1958 and became the first Black woman to join the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) tour. In 1966, she was ranked 27th and tied for second place in 1970 at the Len Immke Buick Open. She ran Pepsi’s national mobile tennis project, which provided sports equipment to unprivileged areas, conducted clinics and outreach programs.

Hi, I'm Lindsey! I completed my Bachelor's degrees in Psychology and Women and Gender Studies at California University Fullerton. I'm currently working on my Masters of Science degree at Arizona State University in Psychology and graduate in fall 2021. After graduation, I intend to pursue a doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology or Social Psychology and conduct research.