This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Ever think, “I wish I could be as good a student as them?” Well, you can! It doesn’t matter what study habits or grades you had in high school, it’s never too late to make some minor changes in your life to achieve the grades and productivity levels you desire. I’m going to share a few pieces of advice that I follow to not only be on top of my school work but get the Dean’s list every semester. 

1. Make a plan and set goals

My first piece of advice is to find an organization system that you will use to hold yourself accountable, plan ahead, and view deadlines. I prefer a physical planner, but some people like digital planners, using calendars, or even apps and websites such as notion. No matter what your preferences are, as long as you stick to it then that’s all that matters. 

I like to compile all my classes’ due dates and put everything in my planner at one time for the rest of the semester. However, you can definitely choose one day out of the week to put all the important deadlines in your planner for the rest of the week or month. 

At the top of my planner, I also like to include a weekly overview, such as the lessons or chapters that will be talked about in class to keep myself in check about what I should be focusing on in addition to the assignment due dates. 

While I don’t typically leave things for the last minute, if you have this problem, I would suggest setting short-term goals for yourself. An example of this could be that on Sunday, you’ll complete all of Monday’s and Tuesday’s homework assignments, so you don’t feel overwhelmed at the start of the new week. 

If all of this sounds daunting, try finding different ways to make it more enjoyable. Like, using colored pens and decorating your planner with stickers, but don’t feel discouraged right away either. It takes time to find out what works for you. 

1. Find out how you study best

Are you a visual learner? Or how about a verbal learner? There are questionnaires online you can take to find out if you aren’t sure. There are 7 different learning styles, so finding out which one or combination of ones you are will allow you to get the most out of your time. This self-assessment from Education Planner asks 20 questions to determine which of the 3 main learning style categories you fit in–visual, auditory, or tactile. 

Personally, I like flashcards, both physical and on Quizlet, for memorization. I also find making comprehensive notes and printing them out to study, along with drawing diagrams, as well as writing on whiteboards is quite helpful. 

1. Create healthy habits

This might seem like a given, but make sure you’re getting plenty of sleep, water, and are feeding your body with things that make you feel good. If you’re able to, make your environment somewhere that you actually want to be. If my room is a mess, it’s the last place I want to be in because it makes me feel stressed and distracted. So, making sure your space is clutter-free (if needed) and filled with things you like will make it a much more pleasant experience. 

I even like to throw on some music, like study playlists or white noise, because I find it helps me concentrate. If you have problems with getting distracted or fidgety, try setting timers or using an app that has a set amount of time for you to sit and work on schoolwork and then take small breaks consistently. This will help you be more productive and create higher endurance. But if you’re like me, sometimes you will find yourself sitting behind the computer not doing anything because you’re tired or don’t feel like it. I found that it makes the most sense to work for set periods of time with short breaks in between, rather than forcing myself to sit at a desk the entire time. I’m notorious for not always doing work and avoiding taking sporadic breaks with no set time. 

Additionally, it’s best to do homework, and really anything other than sleeping, not from in your bed. I know it’s nice to lay in bed and do work sometimes, but it ends up confusing your brain and turns a place meant for relaxation and rest into a place for work. Separating these two things is going to be much more effective. 

Lastly, don’t forget that you’re human and burnout is a real thing. If you push yourself too hard for too long, it can be detrimental to your mental, emotional, and physical health. Listen to your body and mind, and always try your best. I’m confident you’ll be able to find a routine that works perfectly.

20 years old majoring in digital and integrated marketing communications with a minor in fashion at ASU. Loves all things fashion, beauty, art, and travel related.