This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I’m not one to jump on the bandwagon, I mean I literally waited 4 years to purchase a basic Michael Kors purse, but this new “fit is the new skinny” really has pulled me in.

Counting steps and calories used to be really popular in high school and went dormant for a couple years until now. I had a Fitbit watch for about 7-8 months and really loved it, besides the fact that it ran my battery down so fast.

One of the best things on my Apple Watch is the app called “One Drop.” I have Type 1 Diabetes, so it’s basically a log to track blood sugar levels in my blood. I can also track when and how much insulin I take.

It’s also really nice to be able to receive texts AND reply with your voice or pre-made phrases. A lot of apps send notifications to the watch, including, but not limited to, Messages, Calendar, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, CVS Pharmacy, and our favorite, Tinder.

One of the other best things I’ve found about the Apple Watch is that it gives you a reasonable goal for activity. The activity app, found on your iPhone, gives you 30 minutes of activity, 450 calories to burn, and to stand for 12 hours. As a college student, I believe this is so much easier to fulfill than just focusing on steps.

So no, this isn’t me advertising for Apple, but hey, if the watch fits.

Sophomore Psychology Major at Appalachian State University. Member of Zeta Tau Alpha, Student Teacher Assistant and Lover of all things Jesus, Sugar Skulls, and FRIENDS.