Rashid Chico Kosber

HC: Would you want to become a full-time activist?

Chico:  As a main thing no, because of financial security.  I do have a younger sister that I need to support since my parents will retire soon, but I will definitely continue to be active.  You don't have to follow a set career path to be active or to speak for child rights or speak out against child trafficking or speak out against organ trafficking. 

HC: Do you know what you would like to major in or study?

Chico: I want to do medicine.

HC:  Do you know what kind of medicine, yet?

Chico: Not yet, but I know it won't be neuroscience.

HC: Where did you go to school?

Chico: I want to an international school of Choueifat. It started in Lebanon about 120 years ago.  It's an international school so it combines the British, American and Canadian education systems. I took SATs, IGCSEs (O-levels) and APs. The UK system is very different. You pick your courses. You know what you will take for the next four years. I didn't really like that. I prefer the US system over the UK system.  There are good and bad things in both systems, but I prefer the American system because you try what works and what doesn't work.  Amherst is perfect because I can explore and take what interests me as well as the requirements for my major.

HC: Previous school experience vs. Amherst? 

Chico: There was no school government, there was no activities. I needed to go outside of school like with the government and the UN because the school didn't offer me anything besides academics. It made me more independent because it forced me to look for things that take you out of your environment. It's a blessing in disguise.

HC: How did you hear about Amherst?

Chico: Surprising thing, I applied to a bunch of different colleges.  I applied to school in the Netherlands and the UK. I mainly applied to schools on the northeast to be near my older brother who teaches at Harvard. My mom told me to include Amherst College. It wasn't in my head to apply here  but I did apply anyway. I am really happy I applied and got accepted.  It is really a gem compared to everything—the faculty, the classes—it's really nice. 

HC: What has influenced you to stay at Amherst?

Chico:  The values my family instilled in me, like ambition.  If you're going to do something, either do it all the way or don't do it all. So I'm here to study hard but it's also supposed to be the four best years of your life. Study hard and have fun.

HC: Are you in any clubs besides Senate?

Chico: I am the treasurer-in-training for Amherst College Entrepreneurship Society (ACES), working with GlobeMed, public health collaborative, and Korean Student Association

HC: How is Amherst different from your home country?

Chico: Very different! For one, there are traffic lights and lanes and zebra crossings.  The people dress differently from the people in Amherst than Cairo. Girls can wear jeans and t-shirts but avoid anything too revealing. Sexual harassment is a huge problem in Cairo but you can live in a bubble and avoid most of the problems.  You always have to think about how you dress.