Nasir Albashir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

HC: Where are you from?

Nasir: Amman, Jordan

HC: What is your class year?

2016

HC: How long is the flight home?

13 hours

HC: What’s the temperature in the winter/summer?

In winter it rangers from about 35-50 degrees and in the summer 95-110

HC: Any snow?

Possibly once a year, but even if it does happen we probably don’t get more than a millimeter of snow, if that

HC: What do you do at home on a typically Saturday night?

Hang out with my friends at some Hookah bar or cafe or maybe play some xbox. It’s a very chill community

HC: How did you hear about Amherst?  What influenced your decision to come here?

My mom went to Mt. Holyoke and then I read up on it on my own. It had a lot to do with my mom but also with the fact that I wanted a broader base of education before I specialized as a lawyer

HC:What are some differences that you’ve noticed between home and Amherst/what have you found surprising about Amherst?

It’s a cultural shock! There is a lot that is different. You have to come in and realize that you are living with people who have been living their lives differently since they were born. Even if it is just the fact that weekends are different days. But if I had to pick one thing, it would be social interactions?

HC: What do you mean?

Everyone knows everyone in Jordan. Here you are more of an individual than you are a part of a community

HC: Do you think that your time in America has changed how you interact with people back in Jordan?

No, I grew up back home. That’s kind of who I am and I think that’s how I am going to stay. But if it did change anything, it changed how I carry myself. I am probably more an active person here than I am in Jordan.

HC: How so?

Not necessarily socially. I would be probably more likely to undertake a project or start a business or shoot a film here.

HC: Did you think that is because of the culture of countries or because you are in college now?

Something of both, I think

HC: What has been the hardest thing to get used to in America?

Not very much. American culture is known well across the world so it wasn’t too hard for me to get used to. Maybe the way you communicate with people here is a bit different but overall I feel it would be more difficult to assimilate into Jordanian society than into American.

HC: What has been your favorite experience so far here?

Probably (paused to think) the fact that I can just pick up and do anything here! My friends and I just decided to start a business out of the blue and the fact that a bunch of freshmen have those types of opportunities is awesome!

[pagebreak]

HC: What’s your favorite pass time here?

Playing guitar or Fifa with my roommate and friends

HC: How long have you been playing guitar for?

Two years. My real instrument is the piano but there isn’t one in my room (laughing)

HC: How many instruments do you play all together?

Three. Violin, piano, and guitar.

HC: You said something about making films. What is your experience with that?

I used to make short films back home

HC: Just for fun or in competitions?

Both. I won one International and one Domestic film competition and have just been deeply interested in film since I was in the fourth grade.

HC: Do have intentions in pursuing that interest?

It’s definitely always at the back of my mind and I am seriously considering taking a year off in between undergrad and graduate school to do film

HC: What about in the meantime, you have any film ideas?

Well my roommate and I are thinking about starting a channel where we have a compilation of short films, skits, social commentary and I have especially been thinking of doing a short horror film series. But we need to gather up the resources first. Like a camera (laughing).

HC: Do you find yourself drawn more to international students or non international?

I don’t really make a distinction. Plus there are so many ethnicities here that even if they are not international, I do not think it makes that much of a difference. The fact that everyone is going through this new transition in their life kind of makes it so, regardless of your nationality we all have in common that we have no idea what we are doing or what to expect.