Ale Sucre ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Her Campus: Where are you from?

Ale Sucre: Caracas, Venezuela

HC: What is your class year?

2013

HC: How long is the flight home?

A flight directly from New York is 5 hours

A connecting flight from Atlanta is 8 hours

HC: What’s the temperature in the winter/summer?

It’s pretty much 75 to 80 all year round

HC: What’s the lowest temperature you had experienced before America?

Probably around 55

HC: What do you do at home on a typically Saturday night?

I usually have lunch at my grandmother’s house with my big family. I have over 20 cousins on my mother’s side of the family. Watch some soccer or play soccer if I am on a team at the time. At night I normally get together and go out with some friends. We normally go to the movies or go clubbing

HC: How did you hear about Amherst?  What influenced your decision to come here?

I was studying in Wales at an International school. As I was there I realized that I wanted to combine the highest level of academics and soccer at a college in the US. I thought I was going to go home after Wales, but after a year I decided that I wanted to try and pursue a great education while continuing my soccer career.

HC: What are some differences that you’ve noticed between home and Amherst/what have you found surprising about Amherst?

The college experience is very different. Here we are living on a campus and you spend most of your time on the college campus, whether you are studying or eating or hanging out. Back home people go to school and work at school but in terms of social life and community they go home for that. That certainly explains to me why the alumni are so connected and committed to their schools.

HC: What are some things you are a part of outside of school?

I play on the men’s soccer team, one of the managers of The Option, Spanish tutor, tour guide, and a research assistant for the Economics and Political Science departments.

HC: Do you find yourself more drawn to international or domestic students?

I definitely have a certain cultural connection with other hispanic students, but apart from that I feel comfortable with both domestic and international students.

HC: What are some things you find yourself missing about home?

Family, weather, food, beach, the girls, but most importantly my cultural roots and background.

HC: How frequently do you get to go back home?

Twice a year. Summer and Christmas

HC: What do you see yourself doing after Amherst?

I am trying to play professional soccer. I would love to explore the opportunity to play in Europe. If not, try and find some work in the private sector in the US.

HC: How has American/Amherst culture changed you as a person?

I think that it has broadened my perspective on the influence that academics has had on my life. It has been an eye-opening experience on how things should be done. When you work hard and are dedicated and disciplined you end up seeing it pay off. The harder you work the better off you will be. It has taught me how you can really become a part of a tight community when you participate and get involved.

HC: Do you plan to return to Venezuela in the long term?

Yes! There is a lot to be done there. I would like to bring all the knowledge, skills, and experiences that I have amassed and gained over the past few years and bring them back to Venezuela

HC: What are you going to miss about Amherst?

I am going to miss soccer, my closest professors, the people and the community. I am going to miss, I guess, just being here. It is just such a great place all around. I will definitely miss the town. I am also going to miss having access to all the great resources we have here, like easy access to the gym, the library, etc.

HC: How would you characterize your four years here at Amherst?

Academically intense, very athletic and personally fulfilling. I kind of wish I had had a little more time to do more things. For example, I wish I had taken more 5 college classes, gone to the other college campuses more, taken more trips to the surroundings, and done more extra-curriculars like scuba-diving, outing/hiking club. I guess there is only so much time.

HC: Do you have advice for younger Amherst Students?

Make sure you have no regrets. This is your time to try out new things, face challenges, meet new people, meet and learn from your professors outside the classroom. Make sure you experience many adventures with your friends, because those memories will last forever.

HC: You think you have done that?

I think so. I feel that I have made the most out of my experience