Top 10 Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you’re trying to procrastinate on studying for finals or searching for some new shows to watch, look no further—you’re in the right place. Over the past few years, Netflix has become the largest movie and television show-streaming site. For just a few dollars a month, you have access to countless movies and shows! Here are 10 shows and films that you need to see.

1. Too Cute

This is arguably Animal Planet’s best show ever. Too Cute follows the lives of adorable baby animals, primarily kittens and puppies. In a 40-minute episode, you’ll find yourself squealing and “aww”-ing about 20 times a minute. Seriously, these animals are just too cute.

2. Doctor Who

Luckily, Netflix offers both classic and new “Who.” Doctor Who tells the story of a time-and-space-travelling alien, the Doctor, who explores the universe and save civilizations from extraterrestrial threats. It’s a bit hard to follow as the show takes countless twists and turns, but it’s a masterpiece. The show just celebrated its 50th birthday, so hop in the TARDIS and check it out!

3. Safety Not Guaranteed

Safety Not Guaranteed is an indie-comedy based off of a 1997 magazine ad written by a man looking for someone to travel in time with. The movie follows three journalists, one of which is played by Aubrey Plaza, as they investigate the mysterious ad. It features a lot of surprising twists and turns, and Plaza’s deadpan comedy is an added plus.

4. The Office

If you’re one of the few people who have yet to see The Office (US), please do so now. Steve Carell leads an A-plus cast as the regional manager of the fictional paper company, Dunder Mifflin. The mockumentary follows the lives of Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton, PA branch workers as they deal with love, friendship and heartbreak. The series finale, which aired earlier this year, will have you in tears.

5. Orange is the New Black

Orange is the New Black is a Netflix original—you can only view it on Netflix. It tells the story of a young and successful woman, Piper, who is sentenced to 15-months in jail for smuggling drug money in her early 20’s. OITNB showcase the lives of women in prison, it offers a new outlook on life and how we perceive certain people.

6. Lars and the Real Girl

Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling, Ryan Gosling. Did I say Ryan Gosling? Lars and the Real Girl tells the story of a middle-aged man, Lars (Gosling); an outcast who buys a sex doll and treats her like a real human being. The film takes on serious mental health issues and portrays them in a light-hearted way; the ending will definitely make you smile.

7. New Girl

Who doesn’t love Zooey Deschanel’s quirky, happy-go-lucky acting? The show follows Jess, a young teacher fresh out of a breakup, who moves into an apartment with three guys. And, of course, madness ensues. The show is currently in its third season, so start catching up now!

8. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Ferris Bueller is a cult classic. High-schooler Ferris Bueller takes a “sick day”—he roams the streets of Chicago, sings in a parade and crashes a car. You can basically relive your high school years through this movie (and whine about how your high school experience wasn’t as exciting).

9. Pretty Little Liars

Pretty Little Liars is probably the most confusing show in the history of television. When four friends uncover mysteries about their best friend’s murder, things obviously get scary. Start catching up now before the new season premiers in January!

10. The West Wing

If you go to American University and you haven’t seen this show yet, you should start now. The West Wing takes place in (you guessed it) The White House. It portrays the everyday lives of presidential senior staff members. It takes place in your own backyard and shows how even small issues affect our country in large ways.  

Photo credit: discovery.com; bbcamerica.com; westport-news.com; thepeanutsgang.com; blog.zap2it.com; flaresnfocus.blogspot.com; returndates.com; collider.com; pretty-little-liars.wikia.com; wikipedia.org

Gabriella Salazar is a junior at American University studying Public Communication and Marketing. She hails from sunny, sunny Los Angeles, California and her proudest moment is meeting Ryan Gosling at the Gangster Squad Premier in January 2013. She's a lover of ballet, wheat thins, food, music and cats; a hater of all things dumb and annoying--like traffic.