This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

First, the coronavirus made students go home with barely any warning, and now we are all growing accustomed to the idea of an all-online semester. Professors are confused, sophomores, juniors, and seniors alike are figuring out Canvas and it has gotten us all to look back on the previous semesters. With these major changes, our mental health can sometimes be put on the back burner, with me realizing this after spending six months at home like so many of us did. 

I had the realization when someone asked me how I was, and my immediate response was to discuss my internship and school. What I was truly feeling was confusion and stress for the upcoming semester. Unfortunately, there has also been a second growing curve, except this time, it is with COVID increasing depression, anxiety, and overall stress. If you feel that COVID has had a similar effect, these tricks to balance mental health and school will help you as well.

Talking Helps

Start having discussions about mental health with friends you trust and are also in a place where they want to have an open conversation. It is a two-way street; do not forget to listen as well. You might uncover that your friends have been feeling the same way.

How You Learn Online

Figure out how you best learn online since the style can be different from how you learn in person. For example, you can be a visual, auditory, kinesthetic (hands-on) and/or reading/ writing learner. Here is a test I used to find out that I changed to a from a visual learner to a reading/writing learner.

Giving Yourself a Break

Have a break where you take a breather or stop working for the day. If possible, dedicate one day for mental health and self-care. We all have unique ways to feel better, but if you are looking for more, here’s the link to Self-Care 101 from our sister HerCampus organization at Guelph University.

What and Where Your Workspace Is

Separate your workspace from your bed, preferably so it is not in view. If this is not possible, the AU library allows you to sign up for 2-3 hours. It is a simple process and less distracting since not many students are around you.

You know you have found the balance between mental health and an online semester when you are automatically incorporating self-care techniques into your daily routine. While adjusting to online school being the temporary new normal, you cannot forget about your mental health.

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Photos: Her Campus Media

Camryn Libes

American '21

Hi! I'm Camryn and I am a senior at American University in Washington DC. My interests are mental & physical health, fitness, psychology, and history with the last two being my majors! I hope to help other girls of all ages and be someone relatable or even the older sister I have always wanted to be. (P.S. my profile picture is in Budapest, Hungary)