5 Latinos That Would Be Better SNL Hosts Than Donald Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

In case you missed it (or live under a rock), NBC announced last week that Donald Trump will be hosting their November 7th episode, alongside musical guest Sia. While this is not Trump’s first time at the rodeo (having hosted previously in 2004), loads of people are upset with SNL. Known for their liberal leaning and constant mocking of Republican candidates’ policies, it seems almost too ironic that the outrageous GOP candidate would get a slot on the comedy sketch show. Countless Americans tweeted their disdain with SNL and urged others to protest by not tuning in; some went above and beyond and created a petition in order to get Trump off the show. 

On top of this, NBC may have gotten themselves into a legal battle; under FCC regulation, a broadcast station must “afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office is the use of such broadcasting station.” Basically, Hillary Clinton’s stint on SNL ran a little over three minutes—Trump’s role as host will give him much more than that. Furthermore, every DNC and GOP candidate might have to be on NBC just so the company doesn’t get a lawsuit from the FCC. Click here to find out more about the regulation and its possible implications for NBC. 

Many people find Trump’s hosting a bit hypocritical, seeing as NBC fired Trump earlier this year for his hateful comments toward Mexican immigrants—a major win for a network that’s criticized for under-representing Latinos. However, by allowing Trump to host the show, NBC is showing that they care more about ratings than their Latino viewers. It seems that NBC is sticking to their decision (for some strange reason), but that doesn’t mean we need to stay silent. Promoting hate speech against a certain race isn’t at all funny, but Donald Trump’s hosting is a cruel, cruel joke. Since NBC has already been criticized for their lack of Latino actors/characters, we decided to take matters into our own hands. Here are five awesome and successful Latinos who should take Donald Trump’s place on the November 7th episode of SNL. 

1. Jorge Ramos

Remember the Univision journalist that Donald Trump kicked out of a press conference? Instead of giving attention to Trump, we should listen to a voice that was wrongfully silenced. While Ramos is a journalist, he’s had a long history with Univision and would no doubt be comfortable in front of a camera. He would most likely discuss important issues for Latinos but would also show off a softer side, possibly even performing in some skits throughout the night. 

2. Sofia Vergara 

Vergara has hosted once before, so she’d definitely be on board for a second round. Her monologue would focus a lot on her personal experience with gaining American citizenship, but she would also discuss her Colombian roots and share what makes her proud to be a Latina. And, of course, she’d crack some awesome jokes. 

3. George Lopez

When thinking of comedy, it’s hard to not think of George Lopez. A proud Latino, Lopez would use his textbook humor to discuss Latinos in the U.S., adding a bit of lighthearted humor to a serious conversation. Lopez is also very open about his liberal political views, so you can bet he’d be in a couple of sketches about (you guessed it) Donald Trump. 

4. Gina Rodriguez 

The Jane The Virgin star has the awards to prove she’s SNL-ready. She also openly speaks about her struggles with ‘not being Latina enough’—an issue many Latina women face. If hosting SNL, she would without a doubt discuss her personal struggles with people invalidating her identity. Plus, she’s hilarious and would have a few tricks up her sleeve throughout the episode. 

5. Melissa Fumero & Stephanie Beatriz

These Brooklyn Nine Nine costars would have a blast sharing the SNL stage. These two Latina women are featured on a show that does have a diverse cast, so they would probably bring attention to the lack of Latinos on American television. And who knows? Maybe co-star Andy Samburg would join them for a Lonely Island skit, too. 

*Bonus*

Pitbull, Shakira and Enrique Iglesias 

These popular Latino (and Hispanic) musicians would all share the stage, performing a mashup of their hit songs—possibly in Spanish. They’re each extremely successful musicians and are known for putting Latin music on America’s radar, so their set would be entertaining for everybody. 

These are just a few ideas, but seriously SNL, please think twice before handing Donald Trump a microphone. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Gabriella Salazar is a junior at American University studying Public Communication and Marketing. She hails from sunny, sunny Los Angeles, California and her proudest moment is meeting Ryan Gosling at the Gangster Squad Premier in January 2013. She's a lover of ballet, wheat thins, food, music and cats; a hater of all things dumb and annoying--like traffic.