Unconditional Love

We set goals and then we run as fast as we can after them only to feel unsatisfied when they are reached, like a finish line that gets further away. With each passing day, we grow more exhausted both physically and mentally. But that does not matter because nothing can fill our need for success, our desire to do more or our fear of wasting time. 

We compare ourselves with people on a higher position and we think of ways to become better. In the meantime, we forget about love. We miss out on parties and dinners and movies and just watching over our little cousins. We forget to visit our aging grandparents. We forget that our parents are aging and that we are aging, too. 

We yearn finally accepting ourselves for who we are, even if we fail. We desire to feel special and loved by ourselves, but we don't. More than anything, we desire a good, loving relationship with ourselves, but we cannot have that. This is because we are only okay if we accomplish things. That is, we give ourselves conditional love. 

Some of us want to feel special and experience guilt and shame at our own smallness. So, we keep going at light speed, swimming and treading water. When will doing nothing be perfectly okay? Will accomplishing goals lose its meaning one day? How can we stop running? 

There can be many answers to that. Taoism, a Chinese philosophy, can be one of them. According to Taoism, people must simply accept themselves for who they are. Life's purpose is living it. Your nature is ever changing and is always the same. Don’t try to resolve the various contradictions in life, instead learn acceptance of your nature. Taoism believes that all of nature is at its most powerful when it is unchanged. In other words, you are more powerful when you can be your purest self. In Taoism, this is known as the Uncarved Block

"When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun." ~ The Tao of Pooh

Put simply, be who you are. Love and accept yourself unconditionally. Give yourself permission to do nothing. Recognize that every day can have some fun intertwined. Do not swim against the current. Remain uncarved so that you can be fully open to every experience. Live life unbiasedly and peacefully.  That is our only goal.