Models with disabilities

What is modeling? What do people think of modeling? For some, it is a dream come true, and for others a complete waste of time. Some think it is an occupation, something they want to do for a living or maybe a way to make a stance and assert their true selves.

Personally, I always thought modeling could be a good job and a great way for young girls to develop a healthy self-esteem. I did not think much of it until I found something that made it completely admirable. Suddenly it was bold, brave, strong. I found out that people with disabilities model too, exposing their bodies to a society that can be all too harsh and critical. 

In foto shoots and beauty pageants, their bodies speak louder than words. They seem to shout to the top of their lungs that their disability is beautiful. It is not part of their identity but it is an intrinsic part of them at the same time. It is not weakness but strength and it is not a hindrance for their happiness but something that catapults them to greater success. 

They express their couragousness, confidence and fearlessness. They have acquired great things even with self-doubt  and daily struggles. Most likely, they have proven people wrong and never recieved the emotional support they deserved and needed. 

Some of these people are:

Alexandra Kutas- she was born with a praxis and has to do everything with a wheelchair.

Shaholly Ayers- was born without her right forearm.

Aimee Mullins- she is a paralympic champion who does not have her feet.

Jack Eyers- his leg was amputated at age 16. 

These are heroes (and there are more) who have chosen to surpass every fear, doubt, hopelessness and criticism and chose to believe in themselves. What can we learn from them? What can we discover in their valor? There is a message hidden in what they’ve done, something they want everyone to know. I'm not sure of what that could be but, I know it has to do with loving yourselg, loving your body, standing tall and shinning bright.