Kesha’s Latest Single Inspired by Ruth Bader Ginsburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Music sensation, Kesha, has released her latest single based on the inspiration of one of America’s most heroic icons.

Here Comes The Change” will be featured on the soundtrack of On the Basis of Sex, the December film chronicling lawyer Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s efforts to bring a groundbreaking case of gender discrimination before the Supreme Court. Directed by Mimi Leder, the film will start Felicity Jones as Ginsburg, along with Armie Hammer, Kathy Bates, and Justin Theroux.

Though the film will not be released until the end of the year, Kesha’s anthem has created quite a buzz for the biographical drama. In an essay written for Refinery29, the singer explains her initial trepidation in taking on the task. “When I was first approached to write a song for the movie, I thought I was the wrong person for the job,” she says. “For me, songwriting is such a personal process and it is almost always inspired by things I’ve experienced in my own life. The idea that I should be writing about someone else’s life, and that person would be Ruth Bader Ginsburg, was intimidating. How could my voice matter in this context? I thought to myself.”

Still, she says that it was actually viewing the film in its entirety and understanding the gravity of Ginsburg’s achievements that inspired her. “It was amazing to see Ginsburg’s story of leading a campaign that successfully changed laws that discriminated against Americans purely on the basis of their sex, as the film title suggests. In watching the film I was struck by how much Ginsburg was able to accomplish in her life, and at the same time, how much more there is to do in the fight for equality for all people. It reminded me of—and strengthened—my belief that any single person can make lasting change, starting with one small action. I wanted to do what I could to pay tribute to Ginsburg, who has spent a lifetime fighting tirelessly for equality, with no signs of slowing down. I wanted to make my voice heard, too.”

In discussing why she chose Kesha to write and record the song, Leder explains that it was more than just good sound at play. “I wanted her to write this song because her passionate voice and immense talent magnify the social justice imperatives Ruth Bader Ginsburg continues to fight for every day. It was important to both of us that this song be not only an anthem to all that Ruth Bader Ginsburg achieved, but also a rallying cry for how much more change is yet to come.”

Kesha, who came forward with allegations of sexual assault by her producer four years ago, has championed the rights and humanity of survivors in the past year. Her singles and performances have reached audiences everywhere, and she continues to fight for social justice at each step of her career.

This year, she’s encouraging listeners everywhere to take action. “If you believe in these things like I do, then I hope you will register to vote and make your voice heard this November. When people in positions of power attack the progress we have made toward full equality it’s our duty to go out to the voting booth and show them that is unacceptable. Together we can prove to our leaders and the rest of the world that we will not tolerate challenges to equality and freedom in our country.”

Ruth Bader Ginsburg said it best: ‘There is still work to be done.’ This fight is far from over, but my will is far from gone.”

Listen to “Here Comes The Change” below:

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.