Bgb Editor'S Letter Hero Image
Bgb Editor'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

5 Black-Owned Brands You Need in Your Makeup Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Let’s face it Black girls have been sprinkling their magic all over the place this year in all industries. It’s no surprise they’ve been dominating the beauty industry, as diversity and inclusion are more important than ever today. Here are five Black-owned makeup brands that are pushing the envelope and keeping women of all shades looking flawless and ready to slay.

Fenty Beauty

Fenty was launched by Rihanna in 2017 and was well received by women of all shades and colors. Rihanna was inspired to create her makeup line after years of not being able to find products that performed well in every aspect of skincare. According to Allure, Fenty was recently awarded the Breakthrough Award by Allure’s “Best of Beauty”. With over 40 foundation shades, you’re sure to find your perfect match. You can find the collection in Sephora, Harvey Nichols, and their website: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna | Beauty for All

Pat McGrath Lab

Pat McGrath is a legendary editorial and fashion makeup artist who launched her cosmetic line three years ago. In 2015 her first product was Gold 001 and was priced at $40 selling out in minutes.  In 2017 her collection was introduced to us with lip liners, lipsticks, eyeliners, mascaras, and an eyeshadow palette. Today her company has surpassed $1 billion. Her products are available in Sephora and on the website: PAT McGRATH LABS | Legendary Makeup by Pat McGrath

Mented Cosmetics 

Mented Cosmetics is known for its nude lipsticks for deeper and diverse skin tones. Two Harvard business school graduates KJ Miller and Amanda Johnson developed Mented Cosmetics over drinks in 2017. They hit the beauty counters and makeup stores one Saturday afternoon and became disappointed. They began mixing ingredients in their Harlem kitchens and the rest is history. Products are available on their website: Mented Cosmetics | Find Your Shade, Write Your Story

Beauty Bakerie

Beauty Bakerie just sounds so yummy as its founder has a sweet tooth. The line was created by Cashmere Nicole in 2011 as a passion project while battling breast cancer. Its bestseller happens to be its Lip Whip which has sold out repeatedly. Nicole aimed to create a vegan and cruelty-free lipstick that wouldn’t smudge and stay put all day. Her goal is to make sure she makes something for everyone especially highlighters and bronzers that work for the darker end of the spectrum.  You can find the complete collection in Ulta and on their website: Beauty Bakerie: Cruelty Free Cosmetics & Beauty Products

Juvia’s Place

Juvia’s place is known for its highly pigmented eyeshadow palettes. Every palette is representative of African culture and art. Founder Chichi Eburu is inspired by the rich culture of African festivals, music, clothing artwork, food, and spices. She looked at the beauty industry and didn’t see any brand that represented black culture. Black women are one of the largest consumers of the beauty industry and it doesn’t make any sense why we’re not fully represented in the cosmetic world. You can find the complete collection in Ulta and on their website: Juvia’s Place

All these brands are amazing and shopping for makeup can sometimes be overwhelming. A rule of thumb that I always use is to sample all the products you’re interested in when possible. Just have some fun and let the makeup speak to you.

Racquel is a graduate student at Agnes Scott College, majoring in Writing and Digital Communications. She holds a B.A. in Mass Media Arts from Clark Atlanta University. In her free time, you can catch her blogging about all things fashion and beauty related.