2017: A Year in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

The week we have all been dreading is here. After Pancake Jam and the Scottie Scream, we internally (or externally) sob as we write away on our papers and/or study for exams. However, this article isn’t to remind you of these emotions but rather for you to reflect on all the things that have happened this year. Here are four events that I’ve recently been reflecting on. 

Women’s March

The year started off a bit apathetic, and although the vibe has continued throughout the year, nonetheless the Women’s March is a good starting point to recognize the importance of politics in our daily lives. Though the march was relatively problematic, it was still a very important moment for many individuals.

Total Solar Eclipse

Image vis NASA/Aubrey Gemignani

Classes hadn’t started, yet astronomy won our hearts. This particular event had many people of all ages and backgrounds gather around across the United States at certain places to see the moon passing over the sun! Although I’m not a science person, I was fascinated to learn about the process and loved seeing the interest of many people sparking from this momentous event!

Hurricane Irma

Image via NOAA/CIR

This has been quite the year for mother nature from Hurricane Harvey to Hurricane Maria; the tragedies that have occurred due to the harsh impact of these tropical storms still lasts. In many countries affected by the storms, the damage still persists and would take months to restore. While on campus we had our own mini encounter with Irma, we have been able to as a campus unite and organize events in efforts to help raise money and raise awareness of the issues. Go Scotties!

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

Meghan Markle and her fiance Prince Harry recently got engaged and the couple is lowkey killing the royal game! Meghan Markle, an established bi-racial actress has been receiving the recognition she deserves and I’ve loved seeing many young women look up to her! Representation is important but even more important is recognition without being affiliated with your significant other.

Needless to say, it’s been quite the year. There’s so much more that has happened such as Salt Bae, Taking a Knee being turned into a political situation, Cardi B taking over, #ReclaimingMyTime and so much more. It has been a year definitely for the books. I can say for sure that I have successfully accomplished my New Year’s Resolution (remember that thing, yeah same). Good luck on finals friends, you got this and Happy Holidays/New Year’s! Treat yo’self.

Syedha Noreenia

Agnes Scott '19

(she/her/hers) is a senior Political Science major and a Business Management minor. Originally born in Brooklyn, New York, Syedha has been raised in Atlanta and proudly calls both cities home along with her parents' motherland of Pakistan. Through her degree, she believes in empowerment/representation and fighting for social justice through analyzing organizational behavior. She enjoys coming up with Instagram captions, infiltrating the system, and spending money that she doesn't have on food.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.