The Meaning Behind My Tattoos

The Meaning Behind My Tattoos

I absolutely love reading stories about the meanings behind people’s tattoos, some deep and meaningful, and some as simple as wanting to adorn their body with art. I, myself, have 3 tattoos and would love to share the meanings behind them.

My Little Owl

My owl resides on my right ankle and was my very first tattoo. This one means a lot to me because it’s mostly in memory of my great granny who unfortunately passed away 6 years ago. She was one of my favourite people in the world, and she was such a tough and inspirational character. She was also the most stubborn person that I have ever met, and I think I get that quality from her. When I was about 9 or so, I was staying with her and she asked me to keep a secret, now this was the most silly and immature secret ever, but for a 9-year-old this was a big responsibility. I have never told that secret to anyone and probably never will, but I decided to get an owl tattoo because owls are known as the guardians of secrets and I thought I’d never find anything more fitting. I also love it even more because it also holds more reference of my grandparents, who I often call my wise old owls, and reminds me of a story that my grandma used to tell me when I was younger about the wise old owl who lived in an oak.

Star Wars: X-wing and Tie Fighter

This was my second tattoo and this one is on the back of my neck. It represents me and my dad, who has a matching one on the back of his neck. For as long as I can remember, me and my dad have never had the best relationship, this only changed in the past 2 years, but we always shared a love for music and movies, especially Star Wars. Star Wars (the original trilogy of course) was often on our TV and as my younger brother grew also, we shared loads of Star Wars merchandise. Star Wars has always been a way of bonding with my dad, and this increased even more with the release of the newer movies. I consider my dad to be one of my best friends and I thought, who better to share a tattoo with? So, in 2017 we got matching tattoos. I love this because it will always commemorate the pure excitement that I had watching space ships battle, and seeing Lightsabers duel, and it’s something that I’ll always share with my dad.

Lumos

I think this one is my favourite tattoo that I have. My other ones are connected to different people, but this one is all me. It resides on my right wrist where I can always see it. I have always loved reading books, so I wanted something to show my love of reading. The Harry Potter series were the first ever books that I fell in love with, and I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve read them over again (or watched the movies). Harry Potter is pure magic, and JK Rowling is a genius for creating the wizarding world. I have always loved the quote “Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light” but I didn’t want to get the whole quote on my body, so decided on a wand and the word Lumos- which essentially turns a wand into a torch, and thus represents the turning on of the light. I also wanted this because mental health is something that I have struggled with, and still struggle with today, but Lumos encourages me to look for the light in the dark, which I absolutely love.

Special shout out to KB Tattoo in Fraserburgh for always doing such an amazing job.

All images are Jade’s own