Kids Nowadays! *shakes fist*

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.
Sometimes, in our ripe ages of 20-or-thereabouts, we feel that kids these days are missing out on the good stuff that we had as young ‘uns. Like the really dark cartoons of Rugrats and the great wisdom of Lizzie McGuire; the dial- up connection of the big booty desktops; the “lights out!” by 10 am- without any distractions from sleep. I think most our fondest memories are from MSN: “brb, mum needs to use the phone” *insert applicable emoticon here*.

Things have certainly changed. Nowadays, kids of age 11 are on Instagram asking us to follow their “boys”… Correct us if we’re wrong but surely at 11 you’re still kicking about in mud or playing P-O-L-O: POLO  and not sending totes emosh snapchats about how “heartbroken” you are. Please- heartbroken is when you lose one of your favourite shoes because you maybe-kind-of-possibly fell over whilst drunk… 

I am the oldest of four, the youngest being 3 years old. I’ll admit that  it’s impressive that the wee one can use an iPad with greater comprehension than myself, but in the same token it’s really scary that she can quite possibly access anything on that thing. 
I am, however, quite envious that kids are way more tech savvy and capable in dealing with whatever technical issues that arise in their many gadgets, and this is indeed a gateway to any job available particularly as society becomes more technically advanced and dependant… but lest we forget that 5 year old that managed to bid successfully on e-bay for a JCB?!

I read a disheartening article that the identity of children is far easier to steal or replicate online and considerably more difficult to track down the perpetrators. *ALARMS SCREECHING*

It’s little wonder that sometimes the handwriting and communication of teenagers are quite lazy and shortened when they spend so much time glued to the ridiculously thin screen of the newest thing. I was 9 when I was given my first mobile, and that was simply to phone mum if there was ever an emergency on the way home from school, or something.
The thing with the wide spectrum of social media sites and influence or consistent exposure to celebrities and role models, is that it totally skews a teenagers’ impression of themselves. It alarms me that a 13 year old has mastered posing, pouting and filtering at a greater level than I could ever imagine. At 13, many of us would have been just leaving that middle parting mid-length bob we all loved, or would have still been a bit gangly and sporting some lovely braces. 

It’s okay to have a little bit of a round face- you’re still a kid. 
It’s okay that your skin is a  bit spotty- you’re still a kid. 
It’s okay you don’t have a freaking clue about what you want to do- you’re still a kid. 

I think the reason that I’m not particularly fond of children is because I envy them. I am horrendously jealous that it’s no longer acceptable for me to leap around the Disney store, or to panic when I lose my mum when we’re in the supermarket. I fantasise about running away now more than I had my entire childhood- I’m sure I’m not the only ‘adult’ who does.

If I could speak to 13 year old me, and any kid willing to listen to me reminisce, I say with the most sincerity- don’t be in a rush to grow up. Seriously. It’s a trap. 

A fan of cats, coffee and Disney, despite the naturally grumpy face.