diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HIS CAMPUS: It’s Raining Men!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

So let’s face it, we’re getting pretty equal we males and females…so, does this mean that the world is ready to embrace men using moisturizers for their hair, keeping scented body fragrances close at hand and maybe even a ‘masculine’ scented lip balm?! Well, according to Lush, there’s no time like the present to start leveling the beauty playing field.

After attending the male-line launch – which uses the hashtag #menoflush as the slogan of choice – it was crystal clear that Lush truly believe this new line will sell, sell and sell some more.

“People have such a set idea in their heads of what Lush is and what Lush is about” explains the Aberdeen crew, however, that “set idea” is something they want to try and break, and quite right too if you ask me!

At the end of the day, if women can enhance themselves, why can’t men? Gone should be the view that taking pride in your appearance is equal to being camp or ‘too’ feminine and in with the new mentality of taking care of yourself becoming the way forward, be it male or female! I’m in, are you?

After talking to the fantastic Lush crew we have here at the Union Street store, it’s clear there is a serious message attached to this new range of ethically produced products aimed predominantly at the male community, a message of gender equality – a message that should not be ignored. It’s just as clear, however, that attracting all you men out there is more of a challenge than one may imagine, but why? Well, according to Lush “we need to break the mold that Lush is only for women”. The Lush team say that men should be proud to call themselves #menoflush – being a man of Lush shows that you care about your appearance and aren’t afraid to show or admit such a trait.

Having now tried and tested some of these products myself, I will happily sing their praises!

Now as a man who is (surprise, surprise) perhaps a little too in touch with their feminine side (*gasp*) and the so-called ‘male grooming’ lifestyle, it’s naturally very easy for me to become excited by both the line and the concept that Lush are launching.

Nevertheless, I also understand that it can be hard to know where to start if you’re a masculine guy who’s girlfriend is telling him to start moisturizing and taking care of the national forest he may or may not be growing…I’ll say no more. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s okay to feel overwhelmed with the concept of male grooming…especially if you’re a ‘man’s’ man.

So my advice is this…too scared to walk into somewhere like Lush solo? Then don’t. Look online, go in with your significant other or, god forbid, your mother if that’s what it takes to get the ball rolling. Just make sure you go! Think about what you want to enhance about yourself and, well, ask about it! There’s no shame in admitting you don’t really know where to start. Seek advice about what’s going to be the best product out there for you, and I promise that Lush will have it.

We’ve gone through the age of the metrosexual (think David Beckham 1999 – preened, waxed, bleached), and the retrosexual (think Russell Crowe  – rough, rugged, hairy). What age do we live in now? Well, if you ask me, we lie somewhere in the middle. There’s no doubt that the number in men taking more care of themselves has rocketed over the last couple of years. It’s become a staple for gents from all walks of life to have a healthy collection of cosmetics to keep them looking fresh, and as man who has no shame in admitting he is one of them, I say long may this continue! Now you Aberdonian men, it’s time for y’all to get on board! From moisturizers and beer-scented hair products (I’m not joking), to beardcare and masculine lip balms, the new line for men at Lush has something to suit each and every one of you. If you try one new thing this month, let it be something from this phenomenal new line. If you come away disappointed, I’ll shave my hair off…. Well, maybe not…wouldn’t want to waste my new Lush hair products now would I…