Top 5 Places in Toronto to Get Some Work Done

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

With exam time right around the corner, having a change in scenery can definitely help you get into the study routine. I’ve found that locking yourself up in your home or in your school library can get so boring and repetitive that you don’t even feel like studying anymore. So why not go out and find new places to study? I present you a list of the top 5 places in Toronto where you can study and grab a quick bite, or just hardcore hit the books!

The Distillery District  

This photo of Distillery Historic District is courtesy of TripAdvisor

The Distillery District is home to some of the most aesthetically pleasing locations in the city. Balzac’s is a café with exposed brick walls and a massive chandelier. This coffee shop gives off some serious Hogwarts vibes. Sadly, you’ll probably be studying for STATS 101 instead of Defence Against the Dark Arts. But this little cafe is where you wanna be if you’re in need of a change in scenery. It’s quiet; the staff is wonderful; and it’s the perfect environment when it comes to getting some hardcore work done. 

City Hall Green Roof

Photo by: Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architects

If you are behind on reading material, the City Hall Green Roof is an ideal place to be. It is about 3,250 , situated on the top of the podium roof and is open all year round. Take a seat under a terrace and enjoy your readings with a beautiful view. If you want to get work done, what could be better than hanging out on a rooftop with the view of the entire city lit up in festive lights? The answer: NOTHING!

Toronto Reference Library

Photos found on torontopubliclibrary.ca

This monolith of knowledge at Yonge and Bloor is, essentially, the entire city’s study hall. At five massive floors, there are plenty of places to pull up a chair and finish off that term paper, because nothing says get studying like ditching your school library for a huge one in the middle of downtown. Did I mention it has five floors? It’s incredibly beautiful, serene, and has any and every resource you would possibly need for a study session. 

Tequila Bookworm

Photo Source: The love collage

You must have at least one study sesh at this awesome venue. After all, they do have the coolest name ever and believe me, so is the venue.  Eye-catching chandeliers hang off the ceiling in a red painted graffiti  “upshtairs” room. Free WIFI, cable TV, an exterior speaker monitor, and plenty of seating space create a perfect setting for studying. Make sure to check out their super hip patio during the season! If you love having a cold beer, a glass of wine while studying, or other drinks to celebrate your accomplishments, this is the place to be! After all, who said you can’t have a little drink while studying? 

Tempered Room

Photo found on temperedroom.com

Located in Parkdale, this diverse community is home to Tibetan, North African and West Indian enclaves mixed in with some great bars, restaurants, vintage fashion, furniture and fabric stores. If your coping mechanism for academic stress is eating a bounty of sugar, try the Tempered Room. The café/bakery has a display case filled with instagrammable treats that’ll help you get through the final month of school and their large tables fit for group sessions. That way, even if you’re not studying, at least people will think you are!

We all need a change in scenery when it comes to studying every semester for exams, so why not make use of our beautiful city? Toronto is home to tens of thousands of students who all suffer through the exam period together. So let’s mix things up this finals season and find some cool places that actually make studying fun!

Just your average girl writing about some above average content 
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.