Quick and Easy Recipes for Students on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Yup, it’s that time of year again. Time for you to hit the library and bury yourself in a pile of books, but that shouldn’t mean food can’t be a priority. After all, you need to stay hydrated and nourished to do well in school! I know it’s easier to just stop and grab some fast food, or that when you’re stressed nothing sounds better than take-out pizza, but I promise you, a home-cooked meal will take you much further. What makes a recipe good for students? It needs to be easy, filling, totally tasty, and/or a good way to squeeze in some vegetables. To get you started, here are some recipes that hit as many of those attributes as possible.

Fried Rice  

What you need:

• Rice
  • 2 eggs
  • honey
  • corn
  • soya sauce
  • olive oil
  • any vegetables you like
  • chicken, ham, or any meat you enjoy

Method:

Boil the rice for 2-3 minutes in a saucepan or microwave while heating a pan on the stove. Add olive oil and scramble 2 eggs. Then, add rice, corn, meat, and vegetables and cook until meat is thoroughly done. Lastly, add soya sauce and cook for 2 more minutes.

See, wasn’t that easy? Less stressed yet? If not, the next one will surely have you running out to the grocery store!

Pizza Sandwich                

What you need:

• Bread
  • Pizza Sauce
  • Cheese
  • Meat (Optional)
  • Vegetables (optional)

Method:

Toast your bread either in a toaster or in a pan. Next, add the pizza sauce to the base of the bread and add cheese. Put it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds and enjoy!

This one is so simple, so customizable, yet so good because, well, who doesn’t like pizza?

Egg in Toast with Bacon

What you need:                     

• Bread
  • Butter
  • 2 strips of bacon
  • An Egg
  • Chives (optional)

Method:

Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut the strips of bacon into smaller pieces. Place the bacon in the oven, grill, or pan, and let cook for 10 minutes. Then, using a circular glass or your hands, cut out a circle in the middle of the piece of bread. Add butter to one side of the bread and toast it in a pan. Once the bread is golden brown on one side, go ahead and add butter before toasting the other side. Now that both sides of the bread have been toasted, crack the egg into the hole you made in the bread. Reduce heat and cover your pan with a plate or lid until the egg is cooked. Once done, take out the crisped bacon and sprinkle it on top of the toast. Lastly, sprinkle some fresh chives on top of the toast and voila, all done!

Mmm, getting hungry yet? Well here’s another recipe for all the busy no-time-for-breakfast people out there.

Healthy Overnight Oats

What you need:             

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk (almond, soy, or skimmed all work fine)
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds (you can also use an extra 1/4 cup oats)
  • cinnamon (as much as you like)
  • dried fruit (optional)
  • fresh/frozen fruit cut into little pieces (optional)

Method:

Grab a jar or bowl that has a lid, then mix everything together and throw it in the fridge. In the morning, enjoy it cold, or you can even warm it up in the microwave!

WOW! How easy was that? There goes your excuse for not having time for breakfast in the morning!

Choco Crisp S’mores Balls

What you need:                         

• Water
  • Chocolate (milk or dark)
  • Marshmallows
  • Olive oil
  • Graham crackers

Method:

In a large bowl, add ¼ cup of water with your preferred chocolate. Place in the microwave for 30 second intervals until completely melted. Next, mash the graham crackers into small pieces and add to the melted chocolate. Pour another ¼ cup of water into a different bowl and melt the marshmallows. On a baking pan, add wax paper and brush on a light coat of olive oil. Start assembling them by rolling the chocolate and cracker mix into small balls and dipping into your melted marshmallow. Freeze and enjoy later!

How easy and delicious do all those recipes sound! From breakfast, lunch, dinner, to dessert, there’s something for everyone and their budget! So now you have no excuse not to maintain a healthy diet. It is important and needs to be incorporated no matter how busy your lifestyle is.

Just your average girl writing about some above average content 
Sam is a Cinema & Media Studies student at York University. She is passionate about LGBTQ+ issues, mental health, and intersectional feminism. She loves dogs and grilled cheese and knows way too much about pop culture.