This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I grew up in a very Irish household, my mom’s family is originally from Northern Ireland and they have carried a lot of their traditions down throughout the years. St. Patricks day is one of the bigger traditions that has been continued to be celebrated by our family I feel like it is bigger than Christmas in a lot of ways. My mom, Diann, can get a little carried away by this holiday. Last year I was kept awake, with a Harp (the beer, not the instrument) in my hand until 3 am and had to sneak off into another wing of the house to finally get some sleep. With this years celebration rolling around the corner I thought I would share some tips on how to celebrate it properly, coming from a girl whose household lives for th every year.

Step 1: You don’t have to be Irish to celebrate but don’t pretend to be one either.

People don’t come visit Canada on Canada Day and start saying “Eh?” So you don’t need to shout out at the top of your lungs “Top of the mornin’ to ya” to everyone you pass.

Step 2: Wear green, or a traditional Irish jersey and forget the “Kiss Me I’m Irish Shirt” at home.”

Step 3: Everyone loves a little jig but don’t get yourself too carried away.

Actually, please do get carried away. It’s St. Patrick’s Day! Cheers!

Step 3: Find a truly Irish bar.        

It doesn’t have to have Irish in the title, but a bar that keeps inviting everyone in no matter how full it is shows the sign of a true Irish community.

*cough* I am calling you out St. James Gate Irish Pub

Step 4: It’s pronounced St. Paddy’s not St. Patties.

Step 5: Try an Irish beer.

It doesn’t have to be a Guinness. Maybe try a Harp or Murphy’s. #MINDBLOWN

Step 6: Try listening to traditional Irish music.           

As much as we all wish Niall Horan counted. Check out some other Irish musicians like The Dubliners, The Clancy Brothers and The Fureys.

Step 7: Try a fry

A traditional but still commonly consumed Irish breakfast– great for your hangover the next day.

Here’s hoping you have a great St. Patrick’s day thanks to these tips and that your year is filled with luck. Until next time, keep your heads high and your wine glasses full (or beer glasses for this occasion). Cheers!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.