What I’ve Realized As Graduation Gets Closer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

UGH. GRADUATION.

It’s scary to think about how I need to get my life together right away, but exciting at the same time to have freedom and whatnot.

BUT… LOANS!

BUT… ADULTING!

BUT… TAXES!

These thoughts have been swirling around in my head for the past few months, as well as some of the responsibilities that come with finishing off the semester strong and… you know… making it so that I am actually able to graduate.

I keep having nightmares that it’s going to be the day of graduation and they come up to me and say “Uh.. you can’t graduate because you signed up for a class this semester and never showed up…” or something crazy like that.

However, I’m kind of come to the realization that life after graduation is not going to be rainbows and ponies. It’s going to be tough at first, but it will be good in the long run. Here’s what I’ve learned:

Not everything is going to be perfect.

You’re not going to go into a full time job right away and know exactly what you’re doing every second of the day. This is why companies train you for a while and show you exactly what they’re looking for. It’s okay to not know at first, but they hired you. They know you can do it.

Your first job out of college may not be related to your major.

Honestly, you may not have a job in your field right after graduation, and that’s okay. Sometimes it may take a couple of months to find what you want to do, or to find a job that’s right for you. If you have to work another job in the process, that’s okay. Just know your limits, and just make sure you can pay your rent and feed yourself without putting yourself in danger. (I know people joke about dropping out of college and becoming a stripper, but PLEASE DON’T DO IT JUST TO MAKE RENT). Unless you really want to. I won’t judge. Werk it.

Don’t give up!

Keep contacting companies. Keep making calls. Keep working hard until you find something. Everything will be okay, it just takes time. Remember when you were first in college and you didn’t know what to do with all of the freedom that you were suddenly given, and then you eased into it. It’ll be generally the same kind of feeling, but you’ll be 4 years older and have a really really expensive piece of paper hanging in your home somewhere.

YOU’LL BE OKAY.

We promise :)

Stephanie is a Senior Professional Writing major at York College of Pennsylvania. She is a York College cheerleader; so she also likes big bows, and she can not lie.