Tips to Know and Remember Before Moving Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

As we get older, we tend to become a little restless, especially when living with our parents. They have rules and always have something to say, so it’s normal to become easily irritated when we hit 21 (18 for most).

This is when you know it’s time to move out. Here are few things to know and remember before leaving the nest and what to expect after moving out.

Money:

As they say, “easy come, easy go.” There hasn’t been a truer statement about money – except for a few others, but let’s just focus on this one. It costs to move out of your parents house and when you look at all the expenses you’ll have, nothing is cheap. Before you move, you need at least 6 months worth of your salary saved up in a bank account to fall back on, just in case.

Times may get a little hard and rough; maybe you won’t get that dream job right out of college. That’s ok – this is what the 6 months worth of salary is for.

Research:

You should make sure to look up places to live before taking the plunge into the real world. Know and learn about the area you’re looking to stay in. The best time to check out potential towns and cities is during the summer. (This part of the research is mainly for areas that experience those cold winter months, like the Northeast, for example.) Doing so gives you a feel for the neighborhood and what you can expect from those residents.

Budget:

Budgeting may be hard and tricky, if you have a “spending” problem, but will be totally worth it in the end. There will always be that piece of clothing/jewelry you want or some concert you’ll want to go to. You can’t do everything, so you’ll need a plan. Figure out how much you’ll need to spend on food, gas, clothing, rent, etc. Once you’ve covered how much you’ll need for essentials, make a “Leisure Funds” list to see how much you CAN spend – NOT how much you WANT to spend. Yes, this is a difference!

Do your absolute best to stay within your budget! It’s ok to splurge on something every once in a while, but not every time you get a little cash in your hand.

Stress:

There will be days when it’s going to feel like everything is coming at you all at once. When these times come around, take a step back and breath. Maybe go take a nap or cry. Do whatever you must to get through it. These days always pass!

People who’ve graduated can tell you from experience; a job will fall through, a bill needs to be paid and you don’t have the funds, life may becoming too much to bear. Stick it out and you’ll be ok when it is all said and done with. It won’t look that great when you’re in the midst of it all, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Whether you like it or not, one day you will have to move out and really get into that adult world. We all must grow up at some point. So never get discouraged because you are not alone.

If you can, after you graduate, stay with your parents until you get settled. Begin to pay off any student loans and work towards something you can call your own (preferably a car, if you don’t already have one). This way, you can at least go [looking for] to work.

Good luck out there. Hope these little tidbits helped!

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!