This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Have you ever been “in your feelings,” but wasn’t sure what you were feeling until a certain song came on? I have and it usually helps me cope with whatever I’m going through. 

My music is my therapy. I have songs for when I’m feeling sad, happy, angry, ready to take on the world, and much more! 

The best thing about music therapy is tuning out the world and focusing on the song(s) playing. It’s really what gets me through the day. Everyday has a playlist for me and sometimes they do repeat, but a lot of the songs I have are amazing.

Many of the artists I listen to give my life a soundtrack. My top artists are Michael and Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, J. Cole, Tupac, Jay-Z, and Fantasia. (Honestly, these are just the artists I could think of at the time. There are a lot more, but to name them would take forever.)

I also love to listen to classic artists like The Temptations, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind and Fire. If you don’t know their music, look them up and get into it. These are the artists that a lot of the new people sample.

My decade for music therapy is the 90’s to the 00’s. Boy bands were poppin’, female artists and groups sang and rapped about female empowerment, and music just kept you movin’ and groovin’! (Not that the music today doesn’t, but it’s different.)

I guess I’ll end my article here because if I don’t stop, this article will be like 6 pages long. But before I go, here are some of the genres I love that get me through life:

1. RnB

2. Pop

3. Rap (mostly (90s)

4. Neo-soul

5. Country

6. 90s RnB

7. Reggaeton (Caribbean and Spanish)

8. Oldies

What does your music therapy playlist look like?

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!