This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Life is tough enough without the added pressure of exams, boyfriends/girlfriends, and everything else. There are times when it feels like life is crushing you as assignments and social life get packed on top of each other. You go out into the world with a brave and smiling face, but on the inside, you are suffering.

A good way to think of it is imagining yourself as a cup, filled with water (coffee, soda, or wine – take your pick). Everyday you wake up and socialize: you may pour out a little for work, a little for your friends and little for your family. In life, we tend to give a little bit of ourselves to other things and people.

More often than not, we pour all of ourselves into someone/something elses cup and then we are left with nothing for us. This can take a huge toll on your mental state.

Here are a few suggestions on ways to make sure you stay healthy enough to, as the late and great Prince would say, “get through this thing we call life.”

Get as much sleep as you can.

A good night’s rest ensures that you can tackle the day and all the challenges that [may] come with it. Experts say 8 hours, but experts don’t know your body as well as you do. Some people can run on 4 hours; others need 10 hours. It’s however and whatever you feel can help you wake up with a smile on your face, fully refreshed, and ready to take on the world.

Meditate to center yourself.

Some days you may just feel off and not like yourself. Everyone experiences these days. You may just need to get in-touch with yourself. Meditation is good for problems such as this. Finding your balance and center can improve, not only your day, but your mental state. This gives you a chance to turn the world off and discover what you, yourself, may need to continue to slay.

Unplug the world.

Turning off your phone and computer is a good way to get your mental health in check. For a lot, I know it’s hard in this day and age when our lives revolve around being connected in any way we can, but going one day without these can be good. You don’t have to go as far as Ron Swanson and go completely off the grid, but one day will not kill you. Go outside and sit for awhile; take a nap; walk to the park; play a game with your friends and family. Phones and the internet consume most of our lives, so it’s good to take a bit of it back every once in blue moon.

Cry.

Life can be tough, so it’s only right that we as humans try to “out-tough” it. We try to hold in our emotions because society deems showing emotion as weak. For your own mental health, you shouldn’t let this dictate your life. Pressure builds up and it needs to be released. Taking a couple of minutes out of your day to so is fine. Crying is a great way to let go of whatever is getting to you at that time. Go to the bathroom, your room, or go in the shower and let out a good cry. Holding in these feelings can really get to you can cause all kinds of problems internally. (Working out is a great way to release this, but if you’re not one for the gym then this is for you.)

These are just a few suggestions on ways to hold on to your mental health, but if you have a better way of ensuring your sanity, then go with that. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone or anything to do so, your way of saving your mental stability is A-ok.

Yes, other people and other things are important in life, but your mental health should come first and foremost over everything else.

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!