The Man, The Myth, The Legend: Andy Shaw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Having only started working at York College three months ago, Andy Shaw is making quite a splash with the students.  Andy Shaw is the Director of Web Communications here and is the mastermind behind all those awesome tweets coming from the York College twitter account. As the Director of Web Communications, Shaw updates all of the college’s social media accounts, including Facebook Twitter and Instagram.

When it comes to Instagram Shaw gets his pictures from Mike Adams, the school photographer, and then uploads the pictures.  Though when it comes to Twitter, it’s a whole other game.  He is constantly updating the Twitter account.  He tries to respond to every mention, even if it is just favoriting the tweet.  Shaw gets excited when people retweet and favorite the college’s tweet because he feels like we have a better relationship with YCP besides that it is just where we go to school.  He is hoping that in the future, students will start to use Twitter to get their problems solved.

Shaw also likes to put a theme to certain days. For example, on Halloween he tweeted #YCPHalloweenTips such as “Don’t want trick-or-treaters all night? Hand out life advice instead of candy. Nobody wants advice from strangers.”  He realized that running the twitter account this way was going to work when he tweeted back at JacksonStLiving that he was going to tell his mom that they were going to skip class and other students has a positive reaction and didn’t freak out.

Andy Shaw also talks to students about how to be responsible when using social media.  He also helps out departments by tweeting specific things for them about an event, fundraiser, etc.  Be sure to follow York College of Pa on all social media accounts and if you see Andy Shaw walking around campus make sure to say hi!  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram

Caitlyn Colgan is a Junior Public Relations major at York College of Pa. She also have a minor in Musical Theater  She is a sister of the Phi Eta chapter of Phi Mu. She loves theater a little too much and spends almost all of her time dancing, singing and acting.