Holiday Desserts From Around The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Hello lovelies, I hope you are all doing fantastically this week. With finals around the corner as well as the holidays, I thought I could cheer you up with desserts. Around the world there are very different foods that are made to celebrate the holidays, and I found these and wanted to share them with you all.

Sachertorte

This Austrian dessert is a special kind of chocolate cake and is made with an apricot jam layer between the actual cakes as well as underneath the dark chocolate icing. Usually the cake part is dense and is served with unsweetened whipped cream. Yum!

Stollen

This German bread is usually made with chopped candied or dried fruit, nuts and spices. This cake has also been known to be made with rum. I’ve had rum cake before but as far as fruit cakes, I don’t really like those.

Imbuljuta tal-Qastan (Malta)

This is technically a drink but I’m going to call it a dessert. It is made using cocoa, chestnuts, cloves and citrus zest. Just look at it, it’s calling me. It’s like drinking a hot chocolate with chestnuts! Malta knows where it’s at.

Risalamande

This Danish dessert is made out of rice pudding mixed with whipped cream, vanilla, and chopped almonds; and is usually served cold with a cherry sauce.

Arroz con Leche

Something similar to the Risalamande is this Mexican dessert. It is a type of rice pudding usually containing cinnamon powder on top. Depending on who makes it, it can also have raisins, so Kathleen probably won’t eat that version

Bibingka

This Filipino rice cake is made with coconut milk and is traditionally served with toasted banana leaves and garnished with coconut shavings. Let me tell you, if this is anything like another type of rice cake; Puto, then I’m pretty sure I’m up for this one.

Beigli

This is a Hungarian roll with poppy seed filling that can be alternately made with a walnut filling. The only experience I have with poppy seeds are when they’re on everything bagels so that’s a little off putting. The walnut filling would be interesting to try though.

So these are foods from around the world that are usually served for the holidays! There are recipes that can be found on the internet and I think I’ll try to make a couple.

Stay Classy. Or not. Your choice.

And Happy Holidays!

Damaris here! I'm an English major with a Psychology minor