Get Out: An Overview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Ah, it’s that time of year again: Black History Month. What a great one it’s been this year: Beyonce is pregnant with twins, Dear White People is going to be a show on Netflix, and Childish Gambino and James Earl Jones are going to be in a live action Lion King. Many blessings – including a surprising new film on the dangers of racism.

Nope, you read that right. Written and directed by Jordan Peele of the popular Comedy Central duo Key & Peele, Get Out addresses one of America’s biggest problems: racism. A bit heavy for a weekly movie date, you say? Well, here’s the thing: that’s exactly why everyone should go see it. This issue is one that’s really uncomfortable, especially for white audiences who don’t want to see themselves in the villains of the film. However, Jordan Peele was brave enough to do something like this – so why can’t America be brave enough to watch it?

Not everyone shares this sentiment, though. The internet is ablaze with backlash. Apparently, this movie is ‘reverse racism,’ it’s ‘offensive to have white people be the villain,’ and ‘the plot is unrealistic and doesn’t make sense.’

Let me explain why all of those statements don’t make sense: first of all, reverse racism does not exist, and that can be further explained in another article; second of all, the last two statements are just too problematic, but long story short, anyone who feels that way needs to get over themselves.

Get Out is sure to be a different kind of horror film. Make sure you see it.

Hey, I'm Reva! ^_^ Born in the Washington D.C. I'm a Christian and a Music major at York College of PA. I've written and published a young adult novel series; the first is called Breathtaking.