kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

The Four Diamonds Fund is an organization that saves lives and I think more awareness should be brought upon it. Since some of my friends from school aren’t from around here, they haven’t heard of the Four Diamonds Fund and THON, or they don’t understand the impact it has on families and kids who are battling cancer. With that being said, I decided to write an article about my personal experience with the Four Diamonds Fund and how it changed my life.

In April 2011, at the age of 13, I received the shocking and life-changing news that I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblast Leukemia (ALL). For the next two and a half years I received countless chemotherapy treatments at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. The Four Diamonds Fund covered all of my medical bills, gave gas and meal vouchers to me and my family, and provided an endless amount of support during this difficult time.

Since 1972, Four Diamonds has helped over 4,000 children battling various cancers and their families. Four Diamonds also puts the money raised toward pediatric cancer research that is conducted at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. How do they raise the money? A huge event, THON, takes place every year at Penn State University. College students attending Penn State raise money all year which contributes toward the total amount raised at THON each year. Certain high schools in Pennsylvania are also involved in the contribution because they host Mini-Thons once a year that adds to the total amount raised to help fight childhood cancer. This previous February, THON raised $10,151,663.93 to support childhood cancer and research!!

My high schools Mini-Thon raised over $21,000 my senior year!!

When I was going through treatment, my family and I were able to attend THON and it was an incredible experience. The amount of time and dedication the students put into making THON a great experience is something that should be praised and applauded.

I hope this article gave you a better understanding of what the Four Diamonds Fund is and how it can change lives. It changed my life and I will forever be grateful for that. Whether you know someone who is involved in THON or you see someone canning for THON on the street, I strongly encourage you to contribute to this amazing cause because you are helping to save a life!

For more info about Four Diamonds Fund please visit https://www.fourdiamonds.org.

Junior Nursing Major at YCP
A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!