This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

There are two times out of the whole year in which I enjoy dressing up: Halloween and Otakon. Everyone wants to be someone else at least once in his or her lifetime which is why people dress up as certain characters for anime conventions. You do not have to worry about who you are. Nobody knows you and no one cares. You can be anything at Otakon, the convention for all things Asian related, including video games, anime and manga. You can be a plant if you want, I was one three years ago. Bellossom to be specific. Humanoid Pokémon are the go-to cosplay when you do not know what character to dress up as or if you love Pokémon as much as me.

It has only been three years since I started cosplaying and I am still learning the ins and outs of costume designing. I go through many different prototypes before I find the perfect fit for a costume. It helps to have a Pokémon handbook when I need inspiration with costumes.

With cosplay, I can submerge myself in a vast array of fabrics and different patterns. It’s an escape from my identity in the real world by pretending to be someone else. I can be anyone and not have people judge me for who I am. Although you still have people who criticize your costume.

Hand sewing with a needle and thread at three in the morning is the worst when you have not slept in over a week. It’s a major hazard, especially if you’re accident-prone like me. But it’s worth it in the end when you get to show off your costume and visit all the great anime panels at Otakon. I did not go to last year’s Otakon in Washington, D.C., but I plan on going this summer. Will I be seeing you there?

Marisa is a Senior at York College of Pennsylvania majoring in Professional Writing. She loves to read and play video games. She is overjoyed to share her experiences with Her Campus.