The Best Parts about Thanksgiving (featuring Winston Bishop)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Next week is Thanksgiving and I can’t wait! It is my second favorite holiday, with Christmas in first. (It comes in third when counting my birthday!)

I’m so excited to see all my family and get down on a plate of food! Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes and so much more!

My mother is the real MVP on Thanksgiving. She can throw down in the kitchen – that woman is like a magician. She needs her own cookbook or something because…honestly, I can’t explain it. You’d have to be there to know what I’m talking about.

Thanksgiving is really a wonderful time with my family. We get together and talk about good times we’ve shared and laugh until our stomachs hurt and we are crying. We play games, watch TV, and you can often find one member passed out on a couch after eating a plate full!

Now that I’m getting older, I’ve started helping my mother in the kitchen a lot more. I help her make certain dishes and I’ve even started making some dishes on my own.

When I say “some dishes,” I really mean I make the sweet potato casserole and maybe a dessert if I feel up to it. I like to try out different desserts whenever I get the chance, and Thanksgiving is perfect! 

This year, I’ll be making Tres Leches for dessert. I’ve made this a couple of times over the summer and my family loved it! 

My brother and I, being that I’m away at school, have gotten closer and started traditions. Now, we go Black Friday shopping every year! We go out late at night to the mall and hit just about every store. It’s a great bonding experience, I think. 

Last year was amazing because we finally did something I’ve always wanted to do. We went to see the Thanksgiving Macy’s Day Parade. It was fun seeing the floats of characters in the air! So, we plan on hitting the parade again. This time, I’d love to be on the main street to see the people with the floats up close.

Lastly, my family and I putting up our Christmas tree is the best for me before I have to head back to finish out the semester. It gives me something to look forward to during the remaining weeks of school! 

Thanksgiving is just a good time all around!

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!