5 Weird Things I Learned About Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

While living on campus I have learned the struggles of finding foods to keep myself entertained and awake while I write papers, complete projects, and study for tests. Some of the foods I eat are good while others… not so much. A lot of the things I learned about eating foods while living on campus are ridiculous. Some of these things I attempted when I was really hungry and only had a mini fridge and microwave to whip up some great meals. 

1. Jelly beans are their own food group 

Once in a while I like to splurge and buy jelly beans. I know the question you’re asking is why jelly beans? Well, I like eating jelly beans because it makes me feel like I’m eating a variety of foods but really, I’m not. My sugar content goes up. However, my vitamin and mineral content stays the same. I wouldn’t suggest mixing them with macaroni and cheese if you’re feeling desperate and hungry. 

2. Peanut butter goes with everything

A jar of peanut butter for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Sounds like a dream come true. Peanut butter goes great with bananas, applesauce, and oatmeal. If you’re feeling adventurous then try it with lunch meat.

3. Ramen is your best friend

I like foods that are cheap and not too much of a hassle to make. Sometimes I like to add in different ingredients to ramen to create a variety of flavors. If you’re feeling creative, you can add some canned peaches to those perfectly microwaved chicken-flavored noodles then regret it later.

4. Gummies can make you happy

Feel the urge to cry? Then eat some gummies. Need energy to stay up to write that paper? Then eat two packs of gummies. Don’t actually have “real” fruit to eat? Then grab some gummies. They make you feel like you’re eating “real” fruit, but really, you’re not.

5. Coffee makes the world go round

I don’t suggest drinking four cups of coffee in a day. I know that paper is due at nine in the morning tomorrow, but it’s not worth it in the end. Take a 30-minute nap but don’t overdo it or that paper will go straight out the window. Too much coffee and you’ll be throwing it up the next morning. Or at least eat something when you drink each cup rather than burning a hole in your stomach.

Marisa is a Senior at York College of Pennsylvania majoring in Professional Writing. She loves to read and play video games. She is overjoyed to share her experiences with Her Campus.