5 Movies that will Make You Ugly-Cry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

I hate crying at movies, yet somehow I always choose to watch movies that make me cry! These are the types of movies that when you watch them again, you always hope (and maybe even believe there’s a chance) for a different ending. So here are my top 5 tear-jerker movies that make me regret watching them.

1. Titanic (1997)

I mean who doesn’t cry after watching Titanic!? It’s a classic heartbreaking love story. I swear, every time I watch it, a part of me truly believes there’s a chance they may not hit the iceberg. It stings just as much each time when they do. Then the saddest part of the movie… when she lets go of Jack. Seeing him sink down into the ocean is just heartbreaking. So much for never letting go.

2. The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

Based on the John Green book, this is a story about a girl, Hazel Grace, who has cancer and falls in unexpected love with a boy, Augustus, that she met at a cancer support group. The two travel to Amsterdam to meet Hazel’s favorite author, Van Houten, but things don’t go as planned. He ends up not being a very nice person. On top of that, Augustus shares with her that his cancer has returned. As his condition worsens and he realizes he probably doesn’t have much time left, he invites Hazel and his best friend to his “pre-funeral” where they give him a eulogy. That was the point in the movie that was probably the most emotional for me. He eventually dies and Hazel is left heartbroken, but she knows he will always be apart of her.

3. A Walk to Remember (2002)

One of my favorite actresses, Mandy Moore, stars in this unconventional love story. This movie is based off of the Nicholas Sparks book, A Walk to Remember, that he wrote in honor of his sister. Her character in the movie, Jamie, is the preacher’s daughter who doesn’t fit in with the other kids at her school. Landon, bad-boy rule breaker comes into her life and sweeps her off her feet…well not initially. Landon got into some trouble and is forced to volunteer in the school play. Jamie is the lead in the play and the two spend a lot of time together. Their relationship starts off rocky, but they eventually develop a true appreciation of one another and realize how much they care about each other. What’s so sad then, right? Well, Jamie reveals to Landon that she is dying from Leukemia (what’s with all these movies and having kids die of cancer?!). The story continues to display their growing love for one another until her last days. The last thing on Jamie’s bucket list was to get married in a church and Landon fulfills that dream before she passes away. Pack your tissues for this typical Nicholas Sparks tear-jerker, you’ll need em!

4. My Sister’s Keeper (2009)

Based off the best-selling book by Jodi Picoult, this movie is about a girl, Kate, who is diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia from a young age. Her parents decided to have another child in the hope of her being a “donor” child for Kate. This ethically challenging movie shows viewpoints from Kate’s perspective as well as her donor sister, Anna. Kate’s mother, played by Cameron Diaz, is adamant about ensuring that Anna gives Kate everything she needs to survive another day, even if it means affecting her own health and happiness. Anna is tired of all the procedures and pain that she has gone through ever since she was a young child, so she decides to work with a lawyer in order to try and prove that she has the right to her own body. Later on, it is revealed that it wasn’t Anna’s idea to claim the right to her own body, it was Kate’s because she was tired of fighting for her life and felt like she was a burden to her family.  It is very difficult for Kate’s mother to accept this at first, but eventually she accepts Kate’s decision and the whole family spends Kate’s last days by her side, fulfilling her last wishes.

5. Marley & Me (2008)

I saw this in the movie theater on Christmas Day and I remember having the worst headache by the time it was over because of crying so much. For sure the most I’ve cried at any movie. I think part of the reason was because of how much of a dog lover I am. Any movie where the dog dies in the end, I’m done for. The movie simply shows the life of a one-of-a-kind dog named Marley and his 2 owners, played by Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. The movie journeys through time and shows Marley’s growth and how he affects his owners lives. Later on in the movie, Marley is getting older and his days become limited. Right before he is put to sleep, Owen Wilson says goodbye to his best friend. I guarantee you’ll be right there with him…tears and all!

So there ya have it. If you’re ever in need of a good ol’ cry… I can promise you at least one of these movies will do it for ya! 

Junior Nursing Major at YCP
A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!