Yale Men’s Club Basketball Wins Nationals!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Her Campus tracked down the most recent group of national championship hunks at Yale after the Men’s Club Basketball Team beat Cal Poly, winning the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association National Basketball Championships in North Carolina. Tobi Akindoju, Kevin Kirk, Thomas Aviles, and Chadd Cosse gave us some deets behind this amazingly athletic and notoriously NICE (“Notoriously Intelligent, Casually Enchanting” –coined by Cosse).

What’s the best thing about Yale Club Basketball?

CC:  We never lose.

TA: The worry-free atmosphere. Getting to ball out with your buds three times a week is great, and the basketball court is the best place to forget about school and have a great time with teammates.

KK: We are club bball Champions of the World, and we’re the most fun of all club teams to have mixers with.

Aviles:  We have a great squad. There is so much unity and brotherhood on this team, and it’s great to be able to enjoy spending time together even as we work hard and prepare for tournaments at practice. It’s a fun group on and off the court, but the best thing is definitely how we all have each other’s back.

Who is your team’s biggest fan?

CC:  Hakeem’s mom.

TA: YCB Alums. The ballers of years past are always encouraging us, and their support definitely helped us get through the season.

KK: Karen Miles (Captain Zach Miles’ mom, who we stay with during tournaments in Boston): She’s the hostest with the mostest.

Aviles: Definitely Zack Miles’ mom and dad. They’re at our games whenever possible. My dad’s a big fan too, but it takes a lot to be on the Miles’ level.

What is something most people don’t know about your team?

CC:  We have had 3 tournaments and won all of them. And we’re NICE.

TA: Our team is really talented on and off the court. We have guys involved in a capella, student politics, theater, research, and cultural houses. YCB’s presence is felt all over campus.

KK: Rookie standout Chadd Cosse ’17 survives on a diet consisting entirely of premium cut beef (cooked rare) and raw eggs.

Aviles: I don’t think people know how deep we are. There are 20 guys or so on the roster, and we can all play ball. The fact that we can field two entire teams that can win games on their own is crazy!

What are some of your team’s traditions?

CC: Winning games. Being Nice.

KK: Winning championships + schooling local New Haven ballers in the Lanman Center.

TA: The “hungover” practice is probably the one that stands out the most to me. At least once a semester, the entire team gets together on a Saturday night to go out or have a mixer with another club team. Drinks are imbibed. Needless to say, the following Sunday is filled with poor passes and missed layups. It’s always a fun time.

Aviles: I can’t think of much outside of 1. Winning and 2. Being NICE 3. Achieving victory as a result of niceness

What’s your team go-to song?

TA: Easy. “We are the Champions” – Queen. That, or anything by Lil B (TYBG).

KK: “Fuck Kevin Durant” by Lil B

What is your favorite memory OFF court this season?

TA: Just hanging with the guys and discussing NCAA tourney/NBA season

KK: Championship celebrations at Sigma Nu

Aviles:  Anything Chadd did or said because he’s got an uncanny ability to make everything he says funny even if it isn’t funny at all

CC:  Hanging out at Zach Miles’s mansion.

What are some highlights from this year?

TA: Winning Regionals and Nationals.

KK: Getting interviewed by Her Campus!!!! Ivy League Champs. Northeast Region Champs…NATIONAL CHAMPS

Aviles:  Winning the national championship! (And the Ivy Tournament, and the regional tournament!) Ezra Ritchin’s buzzer-beater to propel us to victory against Marist at the national tournament was probably the single most exciting play of the season.

CC: 1)  WINNING NATIONALS 2) WINNING NATIONALS 3) WINNING EVERY TOURNAMENT WE ENTERED 4) WINNING NATIONALS

Yale girls are best because…

TA: They are all super-intelligent, interesting, and easy to talk to. Nothing’s better than a girl that can hold her own in conversation.

KK: Notoriously Intelligent, Casually Enchanting = NICE

Aviles: They’re the best for a lot of the reasons that got them here — they’re smart and thoughtful people that are enjoyable to be around and have a good conversation with, but they know how to have fun too.

CC: They’re good looking and intelligent.