This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Why is it harder to get into English 120 than it is to get into Yale?  While we can’t offer a satisfying solution to this perennial predicament, we can provide you a temporary remedy.  This week, now that we have all come to terms with our final (?) schedules, the world of music is mercifully answering the prayers of post-shopping-period-stressed Yalies.

From Good Old War (a band that performed at Toads in April of 2011) to Train, we can stock up our iTunes library with the perfect mish-mash of the happy-go-lucky and the zen.  Here are some sample sounds I recommend in order to take away the sting of not getting into that over-enrolled section.

Best Walking-Across-Cross-Campus Music: “Video Games” by Lana Del Ray

Another YouTube superstar, Lana Del Ray has already performed with Lady Gaga (before she way famous), appeared on SNL and wiped all traces of her former idenity (Lizzy Grant) off of the internet.  I’m in his favorite sundress/ Watching me get undressed/ Take that body downtown.  “Video Games” has a fresh sound AND gives us the opportunity to jive to dirty-cutesy music on our way to section.

Best Background Noise: “Future This” by The Big Pink

Ah, England.  Thank you oh-so-much for decades of head-bopping bass, adorable rocker growls, and, of course, the accents.  The Big Pink fuses clever lyrics, traditional classic rock, and modern electronic fare.  Nothing special, but good music to listen to as you do last-minute reading.  Mark my words: you will be hearing this in Urban Outfitters next time you’re trying on their overpriced jeans.
[I also recommend: “The Palace” and “Stay Gold”]

Best Shower Music: “Drive By” by Train

If you don’t crack a smile listening to this feel-good jam, there is something seriously wrong with you.  The first single from their sixth studio album, “Drive By” is something you want to listen to before it becomes overplayed radio fare.

Best of the Week: “Fallen Empires” by Snow Patrol

After listening to this, my ears felt like they had just been massaged.  In “Fallen Empires,” we touch base with romantic failure, loneliness, strolls through cemeteries, and nostalgic childhood memories.  After a stressful shopping period,  I’ve crashed to earth/ but I’ve fallen for so long that it was just relief is just what you’ll want to hear.

What do you think of our recommendations?  Do you totally disagree?  Share your own favorites in the comments!

Jackie is a junior Sociology major at Yale University with a concentration in Gender studies. As a southern California native, she loves the sun, Mexican food, frozen yogurt, freeways and friendly strangers. Jackie plans to test out the rest of her early 20's on the east coast, but knows she will ultimately find herself back in the Los Angeles area. She spent the first half of last summer as a fashion intern near her home north of Los Angeles and the second half studying abroad in Prague. While interning, Jackie renewed her love of the fashion industry culture and affirmed her interest in pursuing fashion publications as a career. She had the time of her life in Prague and traveling throughout Europe where she was referred to as everything from "gypsy woman" to "Pocahontas" for her bohemian tribal style. Her fashion icons are Kate Hudson and Jessica Szohr. At Yale, Jackie pitched for the varsity women's softball team before suffering an elbow injury this year. In her spare time, Jackie enjoys thrift store shopping, running, and gossiping with her mom. Some of her obsessions include Starbucks cinnamon dolce lattes, Free People, Guide Dogs of America, baseball (Go Dodgers!), John Mayer and family.