God Help the Girl Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Do you love music?

Do you adore British accents?

Do you enjoy musical feature films?

If you answered any of these questions with a more or less enthusiastic yes (British guys? British guys! YES!), this is something you definitely shouldn’t miss:

God Help The Girl is a musical feature movie directed by Stuart Murdoch, the lead singer of the Scottish indie group Belle and Sebastian. Next to the movie, the musical project also includes a self-titled album, an EP and several singles. The movie had its premier at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2014 and won a special jury prize

So why should you watch this movie?

It is an impossibly charming indie-pop musical, set in Glasgow, flashing the audience with bright, vivid colours and, most importantly, addressing the question every (post-) college student is constantly confronted with: what am I doing with my life?

The story evolves around Eve, played by Emily Browning, who escapes from a mental health facility (she has an eating disorder). She meets the shy musician James (Olly Alexander), who immediately falls in love with Eve. Together with James’s friend Cassie (Hannah Murray), they form a band and take to the clubs. The music helps Eve to overcome her psychological problems and depressions.

A big win for the movie is the character played by Olly Alexander, who with his big black-rimmed glasses, creates some nerdy aura around himself that is perfectly balanced by his posh friend Cass.

Although the plot may not be extremely deep, it is still a moving coming-of-age story that especially appeals to young people who are facing the same questions as the characters in the movie. The highlights of this musical movie are nonetheless the memorable songs and strong performances.

Below you can find the link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zYFJHaZO_Y