THE GAME 2014: A Showdown like Never Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

The Game is finally upon us. In less than 24 hours, the Yale football team will face off against its rival up North for the 131st time. As one of the oldest rivalries in college football, the Harvard-Yale Game is greatly anticipated not only by the players, but also by students, alumni, and fans all over the country.  

This year’s Yale-Harvard football game is especially important. Yale must win in order to be named Ivy League Champion, and with an impressive 8-1 record, the Yale football team has a particularly good chance of victory this year. Harvard (9-0) has won The Game seven times in a row, but it’s finally time to put their reign to an end. Adding to the excitement, ESPN College Game Day will be making its first-ever appearance at a Harvard-Yale football showdown.

Yale has had an incredibly successful season so far, and we are expecting to see some key players continue to step up. This week’s Her Campus Cutie, Tyler Varga, has been a clear standout this season, with 23 touchdowns. In Yale’s victory over Army in September – another highlight game from this season – Varga added five touchdowns to the scoreboard for Yale. He recently became the tenth back in school history to rush for 1,000 yards, which he has since exceeded. We are looking forward to seeing Varga break some more records tomorrow.

Starting QB Morgan Roberts, a three-time Ivy player of the week and two-time New England Gold Helmet recipient, has certainly made his mark at Yale since transferring from Clemson in 2013. He is currently ranked third on the Yale single-season chart for touchdown passes. He also broke his own record, completing 26 of 30 passes at Cornell this fall. One of his star receivers, Senior Grant Wallace, is another key player. Wallace holds Yale’s fourth place for both catches and yards, with 136 and 1,796, respectively.

Yale’s defense has also had an impressive season, with three of its players earning Ivy rookie honors this year: Matthew Oplinger, Hayden Carlson and Jason Alessi. Yale will need a strong showing from its offensive and defensive ends in order to win this one.

We are sick and tired of Harvard’s arrogance and pranks; it’s time for Yale to come out on top. ROLL DOGS!